Harvesting yeast from an old westveletern

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Obliviousbrew

Reaction score
Hi guys/ girls

I have some westvleteren that I keep in my "cellar" (read a closet with steady temps) this bottles have been in bottles for about two years, they are not reallyyyyy old but still. I´m going to have a couple of the 8 next week (I ran out of the blondes) and I was thinking to try to harvest some yeast from there, my plan is to use petri dishes but I don´t know if this may be a waste of time and there nothing "alive" in there, did somebody harvest yeast from a two year bottle succefully?

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Just buy WLP530 or WY3787 unless you are doing it for a fun project. Those are the same strains used by Westy. I would recommend reading BLAM if you haven't already, very interesting and can save you from trying to harvest something you can readily buy at your LHBS.

Oh I have WY3787, I´m brewing a belgian quad next month and I wanted to split a 12 gallon batch and ferment with both 3787 and the yeast of westveleteren, I understan that the Westmalle yeast is the one the westveleteren uses but and that strain will be WY3787 or WLP530 but I also read that even if the yeast came from the same strain is not quite the same anymore, I just wanted some empiric data on that. My probem is that my westveleteren yeast source it´s dated.

Latest posts

Back