Lincoln NR-211-MP Flux Core wire suitable for welding stainless?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I"m going to try my hand at welding stainless, but I don't know what wire to use. I did some searching on the NR-211-MP wire (what I currently have) to see if it was suitable for stainless, but can't find an answer. If it's not, what wire should I get?

flux core welders aren't the best for welding stainless. i've seen a few that are capable, but the welds look pretty rough. TIG welding is where you want to go, but it is an expensive piece of equipment, and difficult to master on thin walled vessels. MIG welders with 100 % argon shielding gas can do what you want, but your flux core wire welder needs to be upgradable to do it. You can find a local welder that may weld in all of your fittings for cheap, or even for a case of home brew.

I'm not sure about the wire you have; however they do make flux-core wire for stainless. Go to/call your local welding shop, or airgas, etc. They'll be able to fix you up with the proper flux-core wire for stainless. As countryham said, flux core's not the best for stainless; but it will make the metals stick. If you take a grinder to the welds after the fact then it shouldn't be too hard to make it more aesthetically pleasing. Make sure you practice on scrap before you take on your keg(s). Get your wire speed, heat, and technique down and you should be able to put it all together fairly well.

IMO, buying a TIG machine, tank, argon (I think is what TIG uses), connections, etc is definitely not cost effective if you're just going to be using it for your brewing purposes. Flux core will handle the work you're doing just fine (at a slight sacrifice to the appearance to the weld).

Countryham does bring up a good point about getting the couplers professionally TIG welded in for you if you're worried about getting real quality (good looking) work. I think they'd probably charge you about $40/keg for two couplers.

Thanks for the tips. I've only ever used flux core and only welded regualar steel. I know the welder I have has a connection for using gas, so I'll look into it more and see if it's for argon if that's the way to go.

I was considering building a brew stand from stainless, but may try it on my kegs too for the last few fittings. I've been brazing those on with safety silv 45 and it's worked well. I just don't feel like trying to braze an entire brew stand at a cost of around $10/stick on the safety silv.

Nr-211 mp is for mild steel only . It is a self sheilded flux core wire that does not require a gas to run . Although it will hold your stainless together , you will loose the stainless quality in the weld area . I don't much about welding stainless however I do know you MUST have a stainless wire

Back