What to do with Wyeast 1728?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mk010101

Reaction score
I have a scottish ale fermenting right now and am thinking of harvesting the yeast to make another beer. I was thinking of a sweet stout. Would this be an ok yeast to pitch into a sweet stout recipe? What other types can be made with scottish ale yeast? Thanks!

edit: how long can I keep harvested yeast in the fridge before I *have* to use it?

Not sure about 1728, but I'm sure if you used it for a scottish ale, it'd be fine for a stout as well.

You can keep it for a couple months. Past that, viability gets dicey.

I would use it on all kinds of things, but just be mindful of its attenuation characteristics and take that into account. If it is going to be less attenuating then mash at a lower temperature, and/or use more bittering hops to balance it. You can cut back a bit on the crystal malts, add a bit more rasted malt. Or you can simply make a familiar recipe just as usual and see what the different yeast does. It isn't going to make bad beer, it just may be a bit out of style, whatever that means!

How long should one condition a sweet stout? I have read stouts can take up to 6 months to a year to condition, but I don't know if that was for sweet stouts or more potent stouts.

Latest posts

Back