Back to bottling - technique check

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soulive

Reaction score
Since I haven't had to bottle in 1.5 years, I don't completely remember my method. I am thinking of soaking the bottles in Oxyclean, to clean and remove all labels. Then I will rinse them with my jet bottle rinser and put them in the dishwasher. From there I'll run them on the "sanitize" cycle right before I use them. Make sense? Any easier way?

When I pull my bottles out of the dishwasher, I set them in their case and set a piece of cellophane wrap over the bottles to keep them clean. I've used bottles that I had cleaned weeks prior to bottling without any issues.

When I used the dishwasher, I put a little bit of the "Pink Stuff" in the pre-wash cycle, and no detergent in any other cycle. and also selected the Sanitize rinse + the Heated dry cycle. So it got a good chlorine based wash, and then 3 good rinsing cycles + a hot drying. I also gave the dishwasher a clean cycle with it empty before I started with the bottles. I took me 3 wash cycles to clean 12 dozens of bottles. A double batch of brew gives me about 11 doz and a half. But now I keg, so 2.5 Kegs is all I clean now :)

I am pretty lazy when it comes to bottling. I usually look in there just to make there are still clean (I rinse after every pour) and squirt a few squirts from my star-san spray bottle. I haven't had any problems yet... and I figure if they're already clean then it should be all good.

And as far as labels oxy-clean soak is probably the easiest, but I've stopped doing that too.

that'll work...What about the caps? I clean mine and then keep in a glass bowl filled with a weak iodophor or star san solution and as I bottle I'll place one on top of the bottle and let it sit for 15 minutes before crimping. Letting it sit uncapped will purge the headspace of o2.

I never did wash caps, and theoretically, Once caped, CO2 will push any remaning O2 to the top of the bottle and O2 will not touch the beer unless it is shaken because CO2 is heavier than O2.

But as I've said before, anyone who has been making beer for years, has a good way of doing it and it is likely to be different than the next guys way.

I work with 4 other homebrewers, and not one of us does things the same way, yet we all like each other beers...

dp

I just rinse out the bottle after I pour, then run them thru the sani cycle in the dishwasher prior to bottling. Have never had any issues. I usually just throw the caps in the diswasher also... where the silverware usually goes. They keep in place without a cover. For my swing tops, I'll take the rubber seal off the top, rinse it off, place it back on before I run through the diswasher... this is so I don't have to handle it prior to bottling.

Latest posts

Back