Any plans for a DIY Philtap?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarthBeer

Reaction score
I just came across the Philtap looking thru posts on mini kegs. Looks like its no longer produced. I was wondering if there were any plans floating around for them.

It looks like a pretty simple setup. The off the cuff idea is to get the minikeg to TAD adapter that midwest sells. Attach hose between the adapter and a barbed T-junction. The have hose going from the other points of the T to a co2 keg charger and a faucet.

The only question I have from the pics of it would be if there's a need to prevent backflow into the co2 line. Here's a pic if anyones unfamiliar with it.
http://www.homebrew.com/shopping/static/KEG-115.shtml

You can try http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?t=61167 (not mine but I'll be making some), or there is an adapter for the tap-a-draft dispenser (but it requires you to use the small CO2 cylinders)
there is another thread floating around that I can't find at the moment using plumbing fittings available at Lowes/Home Depot (I recall it using a 1/2" barb to 1/2"NPT nylon fitting, 3/16" tubing, a barb to 1/4" flare fitting to hook to the beer line and a 1/4" flare fitting for the gas: you drill into the top of the cap to slip the barb to flare fitting into, screw the nylon into the cap, and attach the hose to the barbed fitting) I'll try to find the source tonight.

You can try http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?t=61167 (not mine but I'll be making some), or there is an adapter for the tap-a-draft dispenser (but it requires you to use the small CO2 cylinders)
there is another thread floating around that I can't find at the moment using plumbing fittings available at Lowes/Home Depot (I recall it using a 1/2" barb to 1/2"NPT nylon fitting, 3/16" tubing, a barb to 1/4" flare fitting to hook to the beer line and a 1/4" flare fitting for the gas: you drill into the top of the cap to slip the barb to flare fitting into, screw the nylon into the cap, and attach the hose to the barbed fitting) I'll try to find the source tonight.

Thanks. That would be interesting to see. The idea I had in mind is that I have a jockey box that I haven't used in forever. Thought I'd mod it to hold a mini keg and use the 16gram co2 chargers for serving pressure. Previously I had lines running in and out of the back of the cooler to a corny and co2 tank. If it could be self contained with a mini keg then that would make it much more useable.

DarthBeer - if you already have the Tap-A-Draft system, what you need is this but it's expensive ($15.90) but it gives me an idea -- I have the Tap-a-Draft system at home and I have the nylon adapter I mentioned (1/2" barb to 1/2" NPT -- I think I paid less than $5 for it at Lowes) so I'll see if they fit together when I get home tonight...

Yes, thats the part I mentioned seeing on the midwest site. From the picture, that one looks like it is brass. The one on the midwest site is plastic. Connecting it to the TAD would be a good simple design. I was trying to over engineer it to connect to a reg beer faucet. Mostly out of boredom and a need to tinker.

"Boredom leads to tinkering. Tinkering leads to Rube Goldberg like brewing setups." - Yoda on homebrewing.

Ahh....gotcha. Just did a compare of the parts (Watts A-387 is the 1/2" barb to 1/2" nylon fitting I was talking about above vs. the actual tap-a-draft fitting) and unfortunately looks like you would need the tap-a-draft fitting from midwest to use your existing Tap-a-Draft with the 5L keg and 16 gram CO2 but you could probably get a smaller tailpiece for your tap and leave the tap-a-draft "on"...

Latest posts

Back