Old cracked grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

interplexr

Reaction score
I have some Maris Otter pale malt that has been stored around 38 degF in a ziplock bag for the past 6 weeks. I ended up not using it in a past recipe and had intended to use it shortly after which never happened.

Is this still fresh enough to use or would there be a lot of oxidation or some other thing that would render this not ideal to use?

I want to make a scottish 70 tomorrow. I need to pick up some more grain but was curious if I should try and use what I have and just add to it.

It's probably ok. Take a little taste and see how they taste. If they taste good, they're fine to use. If they taste stale, or "funny", then they've gone bad or even rancid.

I've used crushed malt much, much older than 6 weeks and it's been fine. I personally think that whole thing is blown out of proportion unless you just have your grains sitting out exposed to air.

Be aware that some people are able to taste rancidity and other are not.

I suppose that's true, but I have several BJCP judges (myself included) taste each of my beers and not a one of them has ever noted it in any beer. As long as it's kept cool and dry I think you're good. I've used 9 month old crushed grains before and the beer came out great, which is what makes me think the whole thing is blown out of proportion.

Back