So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Something...is not quite adding up

I started at 11:00AM. but that's the start of heating my water. it takes 30 minutes on Med-High to bring it to 170-ish...

I just dumped my yeast and sorta cleaned up.

the wort was around 79 degrees or so. the Notingham yeast package said to activate it w/ water aroun 88-92 but I skipped that and just dumped it into my primary.

So, just under 5 hours, 2.5 beers and no food. I'm hungie now...

oh yea, I think I'm just under my OG. can't complain though.:mug:

Brewing tomorrow. Summer blonde for a friend's party in a few weeks, and while I have my equipment out, might as well brew up an American Stout.

"and while i have my equipment out, might as well brew up [another]".

Classic. I' m doing a combined brew. Making a "big beer" and using some wort form that for a Graff cider.

July 4th is just around the corner! w00t.

Brewed Yoop's DFH60 clone last night. Debating whether I want to do a 10:30 pm dough-in tonight. Probably dick around one here long enough to talk myself out of it.

Brewed Yoop's DFH60 clone last night. Debating whether I want to do a 10:30 pm dough-in tonight. Probably dick around one here long enough to talk myself out of it.

Go for it... Just put a Oktoberfest Ale to bed. Going to leave it 5 weeks on the yeastie beasties. Hopefully comes out a winner....

Brewing this, I don't even know what it is...(2 1/2 Gallon batch)

3lb white wheat, 2 lb Pils, 1/4lb honey malt.
Centennial and Cascade for 50 IBUs, Wyeast 1010.
Gonna try FWH for the first time too, taking the 60 min addition and adding it to the first runnings, maybe round out the high IBUs a bit?

Cleaning/sanitizing for a saison today. I've heard about problems with the saison yeast crapping out at 75% attenuation, so I'm going to mix up some nottingham as well and pitch both. Hopefully because I'm going to start fermenting it at 68 and then ramp up to the 80+ that saisons need, the nottingham esters won't clash with the saison ones. Also going to try the frozen water bottle bath as a temp control measure for the first time, hope it comes out.

Which saison yeast are you using? I think this is only a problem with white labs saison. Their saison 2 and wyeast saison don't give up so early.

Oh, and I brewed a saison and a northwest style esb this wkend.

Cleaning/sanitizing for a saison today. I've heard about problems with the saison yeast crapping out at 75% attenuation, so I'm going to mix up some nottingham as well and pitch both. Hopefully because I'm going to start fermenting it at 68 and then ramp up to the 80+ that saisons need, the nottingham esters won't clash with the saison ones. Also going to try the frozen water bottle bath as a temp control measure for the first time, hope it comes out.

I was planning on brewing some Bee Cave IPA, but my inventory in beersmith was a little out of date, so I improvised and brewed a makeshift rye IPA. 25 min into the boil now. Great day to brew in SE MN, but boy is it windy. Had to keep the garage door shut all day so the burner doesn't go out.

Which saison yeast are you using? I think this is only a problem with white labs saison. Their saison 2 and wyeast saison don't give up so early.

Oh, and I brewed a saison and a northwest style esb this wkend.

Really? I have a Wyeast packet inflating as we speak, I didn't realize the problems were with White Labs only. I just don't want to take chances, this beer is supposed to be BONE dry, and I'm not adding extra sugars, just pilsner mashed at 148. Guess we'll just have to see :)

Did you use the Wyeast on your saison?

Brewed a wheat beer yesterday, my second ag'er and all went ok with the exception of a slw drain due to probably opening my valve too fast and almost clogging my manifold.

Really? I have a Wyeast packet inflating as we speak, I didn't realize the problems were with White Labs only. I just don't want to take chances, this beer is supposed to be BONE dry, and I'm not adding extra sugars, just pilsner mashed at 148. Guess we'll just have to see :)

Did you use the Wyeast on your saison?

I am using the wyeast yes. I do have 1lb of cane sugar in there tho. Mashed pilsner, some wheat, and some caramunich at 147. It is based on Jamil's recipe. I fermented the first two days at room temp (74 for me now.. a lil high) and now I have a heat belt around it and its above 80.

Just mashed in for a Mild, Sourthern English Brown to follow.

I'm making an extract honey wheat right now. I didn't think I was going to brew this weekend, but SWMBO left town today so I have the house to myself :ban:

No brewing this weekend unfortunately. Had to help a brew buddy move, but my order from BMW should be here Wednesday and I'll be rushing home from work to get an India Brown cranked out. Gonna have to rack some saison to secondary to free up a primary here soon though. Cheers to all that DID get to brew this weekend.

I am using the wyeast yes. I do have 1lb of cane sugar in there tho. Mashed pilsner, some wheat, and some caramunich at 147. It is based on Jamil's recipe. I fermented the first two days at room temp (74 for me now.. a lil high) and now I have a heat belt around it and its above 80.

Well, that was a bit of a clusterfcuk.

Had one hell of a stuck mash, my first in a very long time. I think it was just from trying to cram too much grain in my little 5 gal cooler. This of course causes me to miss my gravity by a lot, almost 10 points. Took forever to boil 6.5 gallons on my electric stovetop, even with two burners. Once the wort was in the kettle and rolling however, things went fine.

Pico, I'm fermenting at about the same temps as you. I tried to cool it down to 70, pitch, then I'll let it ramp up to ambient 75-80 naturally. Hopefully the yeast won't throw too many fusals at those temps for the first few days. Jamil says that around 68 for the growth phase is ideal, but nothing about this brewday was ideal ;) Someday reliable temp control. Someday...

Mashed another batch of my Strawberry Blonde yesterday. My efficiency was a bit low, so I ended up taking half the volume and doing a decoction with it, which brought me up to the 70% range. I have a barley crusher on the way so hopefully that'll help address future efficiency problems.

I made a nice Brown Ale yesterday. Used DB's awesome all grain technique. Hit efficiency around 67%. Not bad for all grain beer #3. Also managed to have absolutly no issues with the beer. No spills, no forgotten ingredients, no overestimate on boiloff, or underestimate on boiloff. It was just about perfect.

BTW, that makes 50 gallons of alcoholic beverages created in my apartment this year.

It's cold and rainy today but that's not discouraging me from brewing. Boil just started on another batch of March Brown Mild.

Gonna make a SMaSH using Franco-Belges Special Aromatic malt and Saphir hops. I just got a sack of this malt and want to try a SMaSH with it. Unfortunately it's a lager so I won't be able to taste it for a while. My first time using Wyeast Budvar Lager yeast too. I'm gonna make several lagers using this malt as a base and I'm calling it the 'Aromatica' series.

It's supposed to get down to 64 F tonight and not go much above 80 this whole weekend...after a week and a half of record highs. Sweet!

Kegging 8 gallons of Hefe and brewing a Mexican Amber sometime this weekend. Going to be sunny and cool, perfect brew weather.

:ban:

I am going to do my first mini-mash, a honey IPA with 5 varieties of hops and OG around 1.075. I know it is a little heavy for an ipa on the OG, but maybe that will be a good thing!

It's cold and rainy today but that's not discouraging me from brewing. Boil just started on another batch of March Brown Mild.

Good for you! (as I note the time stamp on your post and I sit at a computer). Friday always seems like a good day to play hookie from work and get a brew in before noon but i haven't done it yet.

I hope to brew an APA this weekend. It will be the first beer I repeat in my short brewing career. Last time, it was by far the best beer we have brewed so I am hoping for comparable results.

I brewed the last two weekends so both my fermentation chests are full (a great feeling). But I'll be kegging 10 gallons next weekend so I'll have room to brew more. Trying to get my pipeline stocked again after a long hot summer of no brewing.

Didn't you just brew 10 gallons of that 2 days ago? :ban:

Yep, I'm tinkering with some adjustments to the grain bill. :ban:

Finished around 11:30 this morning - and emptied my propane tank, too. Time to get 'em filled and plan another brew for this weekend.

brewing my 1st batch - Ordinary Bitter

that is, if i can get my uncle's propane burner from him today...

Latest posts

Back