How long in Primary? Then in keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyle6357

Reaction score
1) How long should I leave in the primary fermenter bucket before I move to carboy for secondary?

2) Then how long in secondary?

3) Now as for drinking I plan to keg as I landed a great deal on a kegerator. How long can beer last in a keg? Do I add the priming sugar, and give it some time or just hook it up to CO2 and give it a day?

Depends on what you're brewing. For me, I rarely use a secondary unless I'm adding fruit, adding wood, or aging for a long time. I typically do no less than 3-weeks in primary and then go straight to the keg. If you are really interested in doing secondary, I'd do three weeks in primary, one in secondary, and then to a keg.

The easiest way to carbonate in the keg is to just put it on gas and wait. It'll be about a week.

I usually do 2 weeks in the fermenter- until the beer is finished for at least a few days and is clear. Then I keg.

It will last a long long time in a keg- a keg is just a really big bottle when you think about it. Since you dispense with c02, and the beer is protected from light, it will last as long as a bottle would, or even a tad bit longer.

Some beers are best drunk fresh, while others need a bit of age. It really depends on the beer.

Back