My DIY Double Barrel Wort Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gavball6

Reaction score
Just finished my double barrel wort chiller and am excited to give it a try! Pretty standard, but I did the whole inner rings + outer rings thing connected with some copper tees so I still have one input and one output.

It probably would have been cheaper to buy pre-made at this point, but I like the whole DIY thing and I never soldered before, so I thought this would be a good learning experience.

2012-03-31 13.21.06.jpg

2012-03-31 13.20.52.jpg

I built one like you have. It has a total of 60 Ft of copper tubing in it; it is all half inch copper. There are approximately 40 ft of copper in the outer coil and 20 ft in the inner coil. Because of the large surface area, the cooler works great. I am able to drop the temperature of wort from boiling to pitching temps in just under 10 minutes. I realize that results will vary depending on your water temperature, but I would expect that your results should be similar. Great job.

Mark:tank:

An immersion chiller is like the perfect DIY. They are super easy, and quite possibly the most useful thing in my brewery.

Definitely was a good project... Super easy way to learn to solder too! I am super excited to see how much fast my wort cooling will be now!

Finally used this for the first time yesterday... It worked great. Brought 5.5 gallons down to pitching temp in about 20 minutes, but I really had the hose on a trickle as I was collecting the hot h2o output in some used cornies I just got to work on cleaning out the syrup.

I think I could cut 5 minutes off that easy by increasing the flow a bit. Pretty cool and much easier than dealing with rotating out an ice bath.

Back