Temp changes during fermentation, low temps this winter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grahammcp

Reaction score
I picked up this hobby over the summer...started in my garage. Living in Oregon, we are starting to hit freezing temps at night (but high 60s during the day).

I have decided to leave one 5 gallon carboy (waiting to clear) in the garage, hoping the temp changes at night will aid clearing.

I started a new batch in my fermenting bucket ~2 weeks ago, and brought this inside last night (70 deg F inside) to prevent stunting fermentation.

Is this the right thing to do? If so, should I move the fermenting bucket back to the garage once fermentation is complete? Would it be safer to keep it in the plastic bucket vs a glass carboy due to temps in the teens and 20s over the winter?

Any advice?

Does the temp in your garage drop below freezing? If so, you may not want to go that low. As far as parking your ferment in colder climate, you need to look at the temperature range for your yeast. Some of my fruit wines I actually time with starting as the temps drop because I want low and slow, since it can typically enhance the fruitiness of the wine. I generally park my bulk aging carboys that were started this season, glass and better bottles, in my basement garage over the winter...I just do not leave them directly on concrete(flattened cardboard boxes, etc). My garage usually hangs in the 40s over the winter, though it can vary if it is colder than normal. And a temperature drop of even 10F helps immensely with clearing. Oh, and I fill airlocks with puregrain or vodka so they do not freeze.

Perfect! Thank you for the reply. To be honest, I do not know if my garage will drop into freezing temps. I'll have to monitor it this year. I've decided to place my carboys and buckets up on top of the work bench for the time being. Thank you again for the reply!

Back