Need help in Texas with beer festival

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

f0xtr0t

Reaction score
A few other and myself were going to sample out several batches of home brew for an event called www.borderbeerfest.com

I just received a message saying that we cant. Because you have to pay for a ticket any beer needs to have been taxed and come from a licensed distributor
I am wondering how other festivals in Texas do it? And is there a way around this?

I also thought to make it a judging thing but the tabc says only 2-5 individuals can sample.

Each state is different, but in Wisconsin last fall they cancelled an event that was scheduled (and it was to be BIG) due to some of these exact same legal issues.

In short, in many states you have limitations on where and when homebrew can be served.

Contact the people at Deep Ellum Brewing in Dallas. They did an event with local homebrewers back in September called Labor of Love. Don't think they did any judging though.

Better to beg forgiveness then ask permission!! The brewery was probably able to get away with it since they can sell beer. That and how does an investigator prove after the fact that the beer sold and served was indeed homebrew and not from the brewery.

Phunhog said:
Better to beg forgiveness then ask permission!! The brewery was probably able to get away with it since they can sell beer. That and how does an investigator prove after the fact that the beer sold and served was indeed homebrew and not from the brewery.

Aye I thought about that. I am a law enforcement officer so unfortunately if I knowingly break the law i'll probably be out of a career.

Well in that case....better not to risk it. I have noticed that there is a definite uptick in the amount of beer festivals having a least one or two booths pouring homebrew. My HBC pours beer at a large beer festival every year. Pretty cool that even with 7 taps flowing we have the longest lines!!

Back