Vintage Fridge for Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClarnoBrewer

Reaction score
So I finished my kegerator a few weeks back and finally have some pics here:
Kegerator

I have to say, it was simple and the benefits of using a vintage fridge are numerous.

First, the fridge was free. Some people are asking crazy dough for old fridges, but if you're persistent, you can still find them for free or cheap.

Second, they look super cool. The agreement with SWMBO was that if it looked good, it could live in the living room. Score!

Third, they aren't frost free, so I can keep my yeast bank in the freezer.

Did I mention that they look cool? Hopefully I'll have two more perlicks on there pretty soon. But draught beer in the living room??? I'm still amazed...

Thanks! Basically just a quick sanding to knock off the loose stuff, then I rattle-canned it. I used one of the snap on handles to save my fingers. It looks pretty good from a distance, but it could use a bit of buffing to even it up.

Now there's an idea. How can we get Oprah on our side??? Luckily the SWMBO is pretty cool about my obsessions!

Hey, we conversed a bit about your fridge and going the vintage route in the "Show us your Kegerator" thread.

Just found this thread after scouring this forum for more info on vintage kegerators (which seems scarce). I put in a bid on a 1950s Westinghouse on ebay. Still a little less than a day to go, but I think I'm going to get it!

Thanks for convincing me to go the vintage route -- I'm sure my SWMBO appreciates it, too (she finds the vintage fridge more appealing than a chest freezer).

:)

Hey, we conversed a bit about your fridge and going the vintage route in the "Show us your Kegerator" thread.

Just found this thread after scouring this forum for more info on vintage kegerators (which seems scarce). I put in a bid on a 1950s Westinghouse on ebay. Still a little less than a day to go, but I think I'm going to get it!

Thanks for convincing me to go the vintage route -- I'm sure my SWMBO appreciates it, too (she finds the vintage fridge more appealing than a chest freezer).

:)
You're very welcome, and good luck on the auction! The vintage look definitely goes a long way to making it a family-friendly appliance. I don't think my SWMBO would tolerate a keezer in the living room. Make sure to put some pictures up once you get going on the project!

Totally awesome looking kegerator.

One question I have is how does this type of fridge's energy efficiency compare to a newer one?

Totally awesome looking kegerator.

One question I have is how does this type of fridge's energy efficiency compare to a newer one?

Thanks!

From what I understand, due to the smaller capacity, and the fact that electricity used to be much more expensive, these fridges are typically pretty efficient. I don't have any numbers, but it doesn't run very much. Check out the efficiency question in this faq. Granted, they are selling restored fridges.

Thanks! Basically just a quick sanding to knock off the loose stuff, then I rattle-canned it. I used one of the snap on handles to save my fingers. It looks pretty good from a distance, but it could use a bit of buffing to even it up.
First off, you did a bang up job! I had to click back and forth a couple times with the before and after pics to see if it was the same fridge. You turned a hoop-d into a Cadillac off a 50s showroom floor. :rockin: I will have to my wife tomorrow to see what we have in store for us. We're going to have a 60s diner theme in our new place come April and your setup will blow her away.

Aside from that, for anyone else reading this, never underestimate the power of a skilled hand and a rattle-can of paint. Those snap on handles make it so simple. Sand until smooth, prime, sand, prime, sand, paint, sand, paint, sand, paint, sand, clearcoat, sand, clearcoat, sand, clearcoat, wetsand until you don't see a single bump (or what looks like orange peel texture), buff, wax, done. It takes days or work, but it can be done. The OP knocked a homerun here. That crusty old fridge is now a piece of art. :mug:

First off, you did a bang up job! I had to click back and forth a couple times with the before and after pics to see if it was the same fridge. You turned a hoop-d into a Cadillac off a 50s showroom floor. :rockin: I will have to my wife tomorrow to see what we have in store for us. We're going to have a 60s diner theme in our new place come April and your setup will blow her away.

Aside from that, for anyone else reading this, never underestimate the power of a skilled hand and a rattle-can of paint. Those snap on handles make it so simple. Sand until smooth, prime, sand, prime, sand, paint, sand, paint, sand, paint, sand, clearcoat, sand, clearcoat, sand, clearcoat, wetsand until you don't see a single bump (or what looks like orange peel texture), buff, wax, done. It takes days or work, but it can be done. The OP knocked a homerun here. That crusty old fridge is now a piece of art. :mug:

Wow, thanks so much for the compliments!

You're exactly right about what can be accomplished with a rattle can. But I do have to come clean about my paintjob. It looks great from a distance, but it's basically 3 coats of red, with no clear coat or buffing. I'm too impatient. I'd like to do it up right in the spring when the weather warms up, though. A little more sanding, clearcoats, and some buffing would make it really nice.

Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back