Good lord i have vines coming everywhere

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aekdbbop

Reaction score
is there a limit to how many I should let grow and string up?

This is they second year, I already have full cones on some of them, nice strong vines also..

4 bines per plant is about all the roots will handle. Although if you drip irrigate and feed, you could do 8.

I have at least 6 bines coming from the ground on each of my 2nd year Cascade and Centennial. That's with almost no extra maintenance at all. They're 14-18' right now with plenty of cones.

But once I got to six and they started up the twine, I've cut down everything additional since. Some are still popping through the ground as of yesterday.

I trained 2-3 on three different strings on my second year plant. All three have at least one vine getting ready to top out. I chose the longest ones and cut the other ones off.

My main bed is 17yrs old. It produces well and I don't cut any back. I just let them go. There is no trimming in the wild and they produce in great quantities..

Cam The Hop-Hobbitt

Mine are starting to send lateral shoots out all over the place. I'm letting them go. They're first year, so the more sunlight-collecting ability, the more roots.

My main bed is 17yrs old. It produces well and I don't cut any back. I just let them go. There is no trimming in the wild and they produce in great quantities..

Cam The Hop-Hobbitt

I agree... My second year cascade had 4 last year, and put out 25 this year. I let them all grab a piece of the lattice and it's doing great.

Back