Red, White, and Brew? 4th of July Brew-fest!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a couple of friends and family visiting for the 4th and we are waking up at the butt crack of dawn and having a Red, White and Blue BrewFest.
5 gal of Wrinkled Kilt Irish Red
5 gal of White Dragon Hefe
5 gal of Blueberry Centennial Blonde

If the day goes as planned, we are starting at 5am, boil times are planned at 7, 8:30 and 9:45
and with 4 of us cleaning up along the way, we are planning on cracking the first brew around 11am when the cleanup is close to complete.
96 bottles of Blonde, Brown and Pale Ale to complete the day.

Gunna partake of 3 different homebrews & pit bbq burgers & sausage with home made spent grain prezel buns.

Girlfriend's mother's birthday is the Fourth, so all day will be spent helping with the grill and chilling in the pool. Work gave us Friday off, so I'll be brewing a Black IPA on the fifth (that still counts). Going to do this https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/heavenly-scourge-black-iipa-141308/

I was excited before, but after reading three years of compliments I am super pumped to try this beer out.

Brew day (franziskaner clone) and cookout at a friend's on the 4th and then my own brew day (Pliny the Elder clone) on the 5th.

The 4th is also my parents anniversary,so we'll celabrate that too. Got a Mr Coffee grinder (non-blade type) that has 18 different grind settings for 39 bucks at walmart. gunna grind my dried spent grains into flour & make spent grain burger buns for pit bbq'd burgers & sausage on the 4th.

Gonna be 108 degree's on the fourth, and 100+ through the weekend. Doing a Porter on the 4th and a milk stout over the weekend (making the starter on Thursday)

I don't have a controlled fermentation chamber yet, so I am forced to brew my favorite beers in the summer months. :rockin:

Brewing an Irish Red on the 4th. Possibly bottling my Surly Furious clone, watching my coffee stout bubble and hopefully getting my champagne (real champagne, not the champagne of beers) into bottles. Going to be a busy weekend.

Would love to brew, but alas I'll be in the car, drivin to Vegas. It's a tough life. Probably won't brew again until next weekend.

I have a couple of friends and family visiting for the 4th and we are waking up at the butt crack of dawn and having a Red, White and Blue BrewFest.
5 gal of Wrinkled Kilt Irish Red
5 gal of White Dragon Hefe
5 gal of Blueberry Centennial Blonde

If the day goes as planned, we are starting at 5am, boil times are planned at 7, 8:30 and 9:45
and with 4 of us cleaning up along the way, we are planning on cracking the first brew around 11am when the cleanup is close to complete.
96 bottles of Blonde, Brown and Pale Ale to complete the day.

Update: Got off to a slow start mostly because of the pre-gaming that took place last night. Catching up with each other and sampling some homebrews.

Kind of difficult getting up this morning at the crack of dawn, we managed to stumble groggily out to the brew cave around 530am and got strike water heating. Our SWMBO's (very dangerous breed when they travel in a pack), got the day kick started for us around 6am with coffee and breakfast, which arrived moments before dough in.

So first boil is now complete and kettle is being filled with 2nd batch so we are right on schedule.

2 of my buddies have never had a homebrew, nor have they seen the process and needless to say they are HOOKED!

One of them was a little under the weather after last night, so he opted to have an early blonde ale with breakfast to try and maintain order in his brain. The rest of us will wait until the 3rd boil is almost complete although I must say that the temptation of delicious orange blonde did sound good. He claims that it was like drinking orange juice with his omelet. Not sure if I believe him.

Well,I finally got the dough for my spent grain pretzel burger buns on it's first rise. Wow,what a color & smell. Dough is the color of light rye,with a malty/biscotti like smell. I used the dried grains from my Maori IPA,consisting of UK pale malt,marris otter,carapils,crystal 40L & a lil chocolate malt. Smells so good already,I can't wait till they get done.

Well,I finallygot the dough for my spent grain pretzel burger buns on it's first rise. Wow,what a color & smell. Dough is the color of light rye,with a malty/biscotti like smell. I used the dried grains from my Maori IPA,consisting of UK pale malt,marris otter,carapils,crystal 40L & a lil chocolate malt. Smells so good already,I can't wait till they get done.

I would like that recipe please... Pretzel hamburger buns??? Sounds wonderful.

I assume that they will accompany burgers today?

Brewing up a batch of Oreo Cookie Porter. Have to replace the Mounds Porter that went too quickly. Of course, I will be grilling as well . Red, White, and Brew B Que.

I would like that recipe please... Pretzel hamburger buns??? Sounds wonderful.

I assume that they will accompany burgers today?

Yes,they will def be used for pit bbq'd cheese burgers! Here's a pic to start off with;
http://[URL=http://s563.photobucket.com/user/unionrdr/media/PICT0001_zpsbd329434.jpg.html] [/URL]
After baking 12 minutes @ 425F,they came out golden brown & very springy from the boil. Nice soft chewy prezel consistency will def be had. Topped with Mediteranian sea (kosher) salt.
*Spent grain pretzel buns*
* Makes 12 pretzel rolls*
2C warm water (I now think 3C would work better)
2 packets dry yeast ( I used Red Star quick rising)
5C regular flour
1C spent grain flour (I used dried grains from my Maori IPA)-ground in Mr Coffe burr grinder on espresso setting.
2TBSP sugar
4tsp course kosher (sea) salt,more for sprinkling
Boil-5C water,1c to 1 12oz bottle of home brew (I used Maori IPA)
1/4C baking soda (this boil gives it the soft pretzel consistency)
3) Dump in flour mixture & with dough hook attachment,mix on LOW until dough comes together. Dig on the great smell & color. Then increase speed to medium & mix till dough is elastic & smooth,about 6 more minutes. * I think this is where the 3rd cup of water would help.*
4) Remove dough from mixer. Form into a ball & place in oiled bowl,turn once to coat. (I used peanut oil)cover with damp towel & let rise 30 minutes.
5) Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface & kneed 1 minute. *now,here's where you have to be accurate & shape them as smoothly as possible. Any folds will burst open while buns rise.* Cut dough into quarters. Then cut each quarter into 3rds,as evenly as possible! Shape them into large balls,again,as smooth as possible to prevent splitting. Shap'em like a well rounded mushroom cap. Place them on lightly oiled baking sheet. Score cross in top of each one & cover with damp towel. Let rise 2nd time,till desired bun size is acheived. * It took mine a couple hours to rise to the right size. Your results may vary...
6) Pre-heat oven to 425F. Bring water,beer & baking soda to boil in a large kettle,at least 2 gallons. If you wait for the liquid to boil before adding the baking soda,it'll give a huge hot break like foam over!
7) When rolls have risen to the right size,Use a slotted spoon to place them in the boil. * I used a little corn bread spatula to pick them up off the pan,& place them on this large round spoon I have full of round holes. Then place them in the boil,2 minutes per side.
8) Transfer to oiled baking sheet scored side up. Sprinkle with some more of the course sea salt & bake 12 minutes.
** Looking at them closely after they're done baking,they had the look of whole grain bread on the outside. I could smell the tropical fruit notes from the NZ hops I used in my Maori IPA.

We're waiting until Saturday to brew our Weed Pullin' (https://untappd.com/beer/205601) Session Cascade Pale Ale again. Getting the controller for the ferm chamber Friday. So today is clearing out the shed, getting things re cleaned and organized and just drinking some good 'ol American brews.

Just got done brewing a Belgian Strong Gold. It was my first attempt at a multi step mash. All went very well and I hit my gravity spot on at 1.080. Now the waiting begins...

Not brewing today, but I'm at the 1st anniversary event for our local brewery. Good times and great beer!

The flavor of those pretzel buns went well with the smoky spice flavors of the burgers with the melted cheddar. the were a light brown inside,like light rye. The breadiness of the UK grains def came through. The Maori IPA went quite well with those flavors. Likewise with the black beans with adobo sauce.

Back