2nd brew day and everything went wrong.,

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

salb29

Reaction score
2nd brew day and my first extract...couldn't be easier to do and I feel like I messed up every aspect of the brew day..,it started when I couldn't get the lme to a boil...took almost two hours on glass top I finally said screw it and covered it 90% with lid, brought to a rolling boil finally, got other things mixed, hops in, took to ice bath added to bucket and then added cold water...got it to cold and waited to warm up for an hour but still pitched yeast at 63degrees...feel like I had way to many opportunities for infection even though I did sanitize everything. Og was 1.050, what a demoralizing brew day....anybody have a worse one...?

RDWHAHB... Everything will come out fine. From what I understand, you shouldn't have to worry about an infection as long as your wort was in a clean, sanitized covered fermentor. Many people let their wort cool overnight before pitching; an hour is nothing.
My first brew on my own was a pumpkin ale with 5LBs of fresh roasted pumpkin. After forgetting to time my boil and boiling for probably an extra 20 minutes I attempted to strain the pumpkin out when I was dumping into the fermenter, made a huge mess and ended up with most of it in anyways after the strainer clogged. I then forgot to check my temp before pitching and realized I pitched at 85f. That beer came out great. I gave it out as gifts to friends and family and got nothing but compliments.

I wouldn't worry friend, you made beer, seems like you are over thinking this thing man, you're stressing over non issues. RDWHAHB it'll be just fine

Thanks guys I will try to relax plus I have my first brew bottled and working on its second week in the bottle so get to enjoy that soon...thanks again for the support!

Every aspect of brewing is a learning experience for the future and makes for less anxiety. I always bring my water and resulting wort to a full boil with the cover on the kettle. After the boil is rolling I turn the heat down and leave the kettle partially covered. I don't know if it makes a difference, but I wipe the condensation from the inside of the cover about every 5 minutes. My reasoning is if DMS is present in this condensation it won't fall back into the wort. I also wipe the condensation from the stove hood so contaminants won't drip back into the wort .

Back