Infected Biere De Garde is quite impressive!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djbradle

Reaction score
I brewed up a ten gallon batch of a personal recipe for a Biere De Garde back in early September. It was split into a 6.0 gallon and 5.0 gallon carboy with the 5 gallon carboy catching some type of bug I wish I knew. It had a very small amount of whitish waxy spots that I though might have been acetobacter (similar to my other only known infected beer, a tripel).

I cracked one a couple weeks ago and it spewed like crazy but was surprisingly dry and very tasty, much different from the non-infected batch. I've had them all cold conditioning in the 30's since early October and just tried another which spewed even worse. I decided to crack them all (Grolsch fliptops) just to release the C02 and quickly re-secured them.

It shouldn't further ferment in such a low temp, right? Do some bugs do that?

I figure to enjoy them as is over the next couple months to years. I detect no off flavors but a very slight sourness that is pleasing to the palate . . . Anyone else have such an occurrence?:mug:

Just wanted to update. I've popped the flip tops about three more times over time and the carb is spot on without too much foam.

These are unbelievable! Idk what infection but I wish I could recreate it!

I can't wait to hear about the re-infected batch.. keep us posted

Has quite a head. Earthy hop bitterness. Malty backbone. Has a slight funk in the nose and taste that I cannot describe. It reminds me very much like the infected 2010 Matilda I had a year ago. It's very dry. Driest beer I've brewed. The complexity is hard to describe. I only have about 12 flip tops left. I'll have to age these ones.

image-624001905.jpg

Back