Burner/kettle question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mumford

Reaction score
Hey all. So I'm getting prepared to brew my first batch. I'm somewhere in the middle of obtaining all the supplies and I've hit a speed bump with the kettle. Eventually I would like to do AG brews so I'd like to get some lasting equipment right at the start.

I have a 21 qt Granite-Ware pot (a recent gift so I could return it) but the problem is that the stove which I'll be doing the boiling is a glass top and the pot has a ridged bottom so heating will be an issue.

I've been researching the turkey fryer option and it seems much better, as in faster boiling times, not being in the kitchen, rolling boils easier, etc.

Here are my questions: I'd like to avoid aluminum kettles so should I spring for a SS fryer kit?
If the pot is big enough will I have to do much upgrading later for an AG setup?
Should I just look for a individual burner unit so I use my Granite-Ware?

As you can see I'm pretty new here so any input would be swell.

I would say that if you are looking into going all grain right off the bat I would say return the gift, and go for the fryer kit. The bigger the pot the better. good luck and welcome to HBT

I second the motion on getting a fryer kit. Being able to do full boils is a good thing. I'm not so sure I'd return the 21qt kettle though. It will be useful for other things.

I second the motion on getting a fryer kit. Being able to do full boils is a good thing. I'm not so sure I'd return the 21qt kettle though. It will be useful for other things.

Turkey fryer kit is a great thing and I second the idea of keeping the 21qt kettle. I use my old boil kettle (16qt) as a hot liquor tank for heating up my strike and sparge water.

I just got a fryer and 30 qt. pot for 100 bucks... Aluminum but its fine.. you really dont need SS... Its a myth....

I agree with most everything said here. I would suggest the turkey fryer and keep the pot for sparging as a HLT. I would also suggest getting an aluminum turkery fryer pot as this is what I have and it works great. I was able to get a great turkey fryer kit of craigslist for $40 brand new. SS versions fyers limit your choices and I don't see the advantage besides looks. To each his own though.

The reason I would be avoiding aluminum is my father (used to brew in college and he has it in his head that aluminum is no good). I've read all the debates about SS vs Alum and frankly this alum a cheaper/reliable option, so maybe I can convince him.

Anyway, another question/worry I had was about propane. Being a college student, my income is fairly limited so how much does propane add to the cost of a batch? I know it's all going to be relative so I'm not looking for the most precise answers just a ballpark.

I've heard that a high-powered burner (like a Kick-a-Banjo 210K BTU) will chew through a 20lb propane tank in about 5 batches.

I would assume that a turkey fryer (usually around 60K BTU) will last a couple more, but since the KAB isn't going to be running at full power, don't expect to triple your time-to-empty.

PS I use a 10 gallon aluminum pot, no issues yet. It'd probably be 2-3x as heavy if it were SS, and I would've paid twice as much.

Back