How to convert your tap-a-draft and Miller/Coors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rick689

Reaction score
To convert from a 16 gram CO2 cartridge to a paint ball tank.
you need a few simple parts and tools
Get a 3/4 MIP reducer with the thread size you plan to use for your hose fittings. Tractor Supply is a great place to find all the parts you need
get a standard red hose washer and some poly hose or gas line which ever you would like to use.
you will need a CO2 tank and a regulator
get a fitting to connect to the reducer it can be a barb fitting or a quick release.
Metal works but it's heavy and tips the bottle. Plastic is better because its lighter but you can have burrs.
Put teflon tape on the reducer about 3 wraps remove the cartridge holder and insert the rubber hose washer so it's flat then
thread in the reducer and check for leaks.
If you have a miller draft or coors tap then use a 5/16 washer. Remove the rubber seal inside the tap and push the long side through the washer then with the short side down put it back in the tap. Once that is done then follow the instructions above.
I know the threads are different but the reducer will thread into both taps.
if you want more then one tap then repeat and and a tee fitting. I have three taps going at a time.
I have been using this set up for over a year and filled my last 20oz tank in May since then i have pushed out 15 gallons of beer and 3 gallons of root beer carbonited all of it and I still have over half a tank CO2.
If you have any questions just ask

Tad adapter.jpg

IMG_20120612_201320.jpg

This is awesome! Never thought to reuse them. My friend keeps one in his fridge (with Miller of course)

here is a link on how to assemble the parts if you are using the original tap-a-draft you do not need to remove the rubber piece from the tap nor do you use the metal 5/16 washer

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have a small leak from the small hole on the back of the tap use a bit of silicone to plug it.

i got the reducer and washers but still to short do you have to trim some ot the psarts that fit in to it?

There are 3 basic parts the 3/4 reducer the 5/16 metal washer and the flat style hose washers. I prefer the red or black ones. you should not have to cut the thin plastic on the miller/coors bottle the plastic will stretch and deform a little. you can try doubling the hose wshers to see if that helps. let me know how it goes

If you are still getting leaks after applying 3 to 4 wraps of Teflon tape. you may also be over tightening it I like to tighten it by hand then put it under water and tighten till the bubbles stop. last fix is to put a dap of silicone around the thread tighten and let it sit for a day to dry after that you should have no leaks and great beer

Back