Are all 'cup' style burners the same?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mthompson

Reaction score
I've been looking at burners today, trying to figure out if my current one will be enough to boil 10 gal batches in a keggle, but I have not seen a discussion/answer to my question.

I do not know what make/model I have, but I bought it at Lowes or WalMart about 5 years ago.....the burner itself looks like this
BG10.jpg

.....but I'm wondering if these 'cup' style burners are all high pressure or do they also come in low pressure? I've never thought about it, since until now, I've only brewed 5 gallon batches. I have to take mine apart to troubleshoot its recent sooty behavior, so I will check the regulator and burner for any markings tonight.

So, are there high and low pressure versions and how can I tell which mine is?

Thanks,

The difference between high and low pressure would be the size of the orifice (little brass piece that connects in the back, the hole in the low pressure ones is around 3/32 with the high pressure one being smaller. I believe the BG 10 cup style burners are made to run with high pressure, I read something about someone who was using them with low pressure and having less than optimal results but I have never tried it myself.

I currently use them with a high pressure regulator on my rig and have no problem achieving a wonderful boil with 10+ gallon batches in my keggle.

If it is burning sooty it is because it is burning too rich (too much gas not enough air). I would try to clean out any rust/slag/stuff that has built up inside it.

If you have used it before with a normal high pressure regulator (i think the are something like 0-30psi) and it worked fine than i would guess it is set up for high pressure and probably just a little dirty.

So, these come in both high and low pressure? And if I measure the orifice, this will tell me which pressure I have?

Thanks, I should be able to figure it out to night.

I have one of these and it boils 14.5 gallons in my keggle in about 20 min :)

Yeah, they have some serious thruput. I have an SP10 and used my keggle on it for the first time a couple weeks ago. I was quite surprised to see the center of the supports glowing red mid way thru heating my sparge water.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got her put back together. I scrubbed all the rust off and ran a bottle brush through center, the oiled it up with some cisco like I do all my cast iron.

The timer bypass worked like a charm, just wire-nutted the two wires on the timer together, and she fired right up.... Blue as can be and about 18" high!

First 10 gallon batch will be in the works soon.

Fladam said:
mmmmm 10 gallons :mug:

Yeah, about time..... Since the 5gal recipes I brew the most only last a week or two, figured I might as well double up production.

Keg was free (found in weeds by a friend's parents' house) and the welding was free. This, to me, appears to be a clear message about the direction my brewing path is leading... Who am I, not to follow?

Back