2 co2 bottles - will it fit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thunder1

Reaction score
I am getting close to kegging my beer and looking into the co2 side of things. I called our welding supplier and he asked a question I was hoping someone knows. I told him I wanted to get a dual body regulator to run different pressures on at least two different kegs. He is looking to see what they have laying around (cheap!) to see if they can put something together. The other option he asked was - would 2 5lb cylinders work with single regulators on each?

So........will 2 5lb tanks fit in a 4.x compact refrigerator? If so, is there any downside to doing that?

you probably wont have much room for anything else with two #5 tanks in that thing. im guessing 4.x means 4-something cubic feet? that is a 2x2x2-foot cube. the tanks will be taking atleast half of the space.

I gotta believe when you add up the price for two tanks and two single-body regulators it's going to be significantly more expensive than a single-tank/dual-body regulator solution.

And then there's that double-the-space-needed thing...

Cheers!

I think it would be better to have 1 Co2 cylinder and one twin body regulator regulator for a number of reasons. Space is the first that comes to mind if your dealing with a small refrigeration unit. Also cost if understand correctly the welding shop is suggesting you purchase 2 "cheap" regulators they have laying around and purchase 2 cylinders (@ $50 + in most places). I might be missing something, but you could purchase this and a cylinder and be done for < $150. Just my $ .02

To directly answer your question, yes it will "work" and I don't see a downside other than the cost.

But it definitely won't fit. The best of the 4.x cubic foot fridges will fit two ball lock kegs, with a 5lb CO2 tank/reg on the hump in the back without any modification. Most need some modification, and it's really always a pretty tight fit.

Life is really pretty good with only one serving pressure when you're just dealing with two kegs in a mini-fridge. Now, if I were running one of these 10-keg monster keezers, I'd want a few different pressures available.

Thanks for the repsonses. I will stay away from 2 bottles which I prefer as well.

When I say cheap, I mean cheap! I have a feeling these tanks will be rental for basically nothing, so I am just buying the gas. The regulators would basically be a nominal cost, very little in this either way.

I was thinking since I was asking for a regulator that I would ask for the dual body. Should I stick with that or should I just go with a split single regulator.

The complication comes in that the welding company typically uses 3 port regulators rather than 4 port, which apparently that is what the dual body regulators are. So they don't have much in the 4 port stuff just laying around.

I am assuming if I am running a stout and a brown ale that the dual body may be helpful??? I am completely new to this, so I need some insight. If this dual body regulator will not get used much, I will forget it so I can get my beer in a keg!

Thanks for the repsonses. I will stay away from 2 bottles which I prefer as well.

When I say cheap, I mean cheap! I have a feeling these tanks will be rental for basically nothing, so I am just buying the gas. The regulators would basically be a nominal cost, very little in this either way.

I was thinking since I was asking for a regulator that I would ask for the dual body. Should I stick with that or should I just go with a split single regulator.

The complication comes in that the welding company typically uses 3 port regulators rather than 4 port, which apparently that is what the dual body regulators are. So they don't have much in the 4 port stuff just laying around.

I am assuming if I am running a stout and a brown ale that the dual body may be helpful??? I am completely new to this, so I need some insight. If this dual body regulator will not get used much, I will forget it so I can get my beer in a keg!

Welding gas companies rarley have dual body regulators. It is best to get it from More Beer or something like that. As far as the ports, you would have one coming off each regulator (2). If you need more you can easily make a manifold like this;

photo5.jpg

I have a dual body for a couple of reasons. First I run all my kegs off of one of the regs. Rarely do I carbonate at different levels between the kegs I have in the freezer. I use the other body/reg to Counter pressure bottle, to push sanitizer through kegs getting ready for more brew, to push beer out of my fermenter, etc, etc. It is really helful to do the "Other" tasks you need with CO2 so you dont have to bother the line attached to your kegs.

Back