Post Fermentation Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirt101

Reaction score
I hate to start another ferm temp thread but I searched and couldnt find what I was looking for. I can regulate my ferm temps for the first 2 or 3 days very well during the heavy fermentation and keep them pretty much wherever I want, 65 to 68 degrees. My question is after the initial fermentation is done. I have just been letting them sit in primary in my basement and the thermometer on the sides read a constant 63-65 degrees. Is this too cool? Ive been listening to some of the BrewStrong podcasts and they mentioned keeping the ferm temps down but then letting the temp rise after the heavy action has subsided (they were brewing a porter, which is what i have in primary right now if it matters)..thanks for any insight.

I don't know the science behind this, but that's exactly what I've been doing with my brews and haven't had any adverse affects. Once the yeast is done it's job, it's gone to sleep at the bottom of the carboy. At that time temp is still important (you don't want it really warm) but not as critical IMHO.

I think you should try to get it a little warmer for at least a few days if possible... this will help the yeast keep going to clean up any diacetyl, acetylaldehyde, etc. that they might produce during the first part of fermentation... If you make it cooler, you may not get this benefit... I'm sure it's not always necessary, but I always try to warm my fermenter up for a few days after the bulk of fermentation is complete.

I think you should try to get it a little warmer for at least a few days if possible... this will help the yeast keep going to clean up any diacetyl, acetylaldehyde, etc. that they might produce during the first part of fermentation... If you make it cooler, you may not get this benefit... I'm sure it's not always necessary, but I always try to warm my fermenter up for a few days after the bulk of fermentation is complete.

Ditto. The perfect ale ferment would start cool 62-65 for the first few days. Then once the fermentation starts to wind down and the krausen starts to drop, warm things up to 66-72.

Keeping it cool in the begining helps reduce estery and hot alochol off flavors.
Warming at the end helps clean up the beer and reach full attenuation.

Put em together and you will have a very clean tasting brew :)

Also, always make a starter for your liquid yeast.

I'll have to try warming at the end with my next batch and see if I can notice a difference. Thanks for adding some of the science to it :)

Great, thanks for the info..my porter has been in primary since Nov 1st, would it benefit it to bring it upstairs and let it warm up for the rest of the time? I used S-05 yeast.

Great, thanks for the info..my porter has been in primary since Nov 1st, would it benefit it to bring it upstairs and let it warm up for the rest of the time? I used S-05 yeast.

Yes if the basement is cold (under 68) you should move to the warmer location and maybe give things a swirl.

Back