Keg to keg tansfer questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motleybrews

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Was invited to brew a beer to be served at a regional beerfest this weekend. Brewed an ESB, and its been cask conditioning for 2 weeks.

I plan to transfer from the conditioning keg to the serving keg this Thursday.

Should I cold crash both kegs? Do I need to cold crash either of them? The conditioning keg hasn't moved, and I pulled a sample yesterday, and it's pretty clear. Or is the cold crash more of a precaution against foaming?

I do have the ability to cold crash both kegs, but if the beer is clear on its own, is it worth the risk to jostle it all up getting it into the fridge and chance it not clearing before I jump it?

Thanks

Was invited to brew a beer to be served at a regional beerfest this weekend. Brewed an ESB, and its been cask conditioning for 2 weeks.

I plan to transfer from the conditioning keg to the serving keg this Thursday.

Should I cold crash both kegs? Do I need to cold crash either of them? The conditioning keg hasn't moved, and I pulled a sample yesterday, and it's pretty clear. Or is the cold crash more of a precaution against foaming?

I do have the ability to cold crash both kegs, but if the beer is clear on its own, is it worth the risk to jostle it all up getting it into the fridge and chance it not clearing before I jump it?

Thanks

You have a carbed up, but warm beer? If so, cool that keg before transferring. Let it sit so the sediment settles, and then pour 1/2 glass the next day. That should have most of the sediment in it. Then you can transfer.

You want to transfer cold beer, as it will foam a lot less!

Yooper said:
You have a carbed up, but warm beer? If so, cool that keg before transferring. Let it sit so the sediment settles, and then pour 1/2 glass the next day. That should have most of the sediment in it. Then you can transfer.

You want to transfer cold beer, as it will foam a lot less!

Thanks ms Yooper! That's what I figured, but wanted to make sure. Never primed a keg before.

Back