Drilling Plastic Fermenters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dblee50

Reaction score
I've been using glass for a while and am looking into lighter fermenters. I can find 7. something gallon fermentors but then don't have holes for a drain/transfer valve. Can I drill out plastic (carefully with a step type bit) and minimize risk of contamination? What's the difference between me doing it carefully and a supply provided 6.5 gallon fermentor with a hole? Any thoughts appreciated.

The only risk of contamination is if you drill it when its full. :)
I made one with a adjustable type bit...when the outside diameter could be move via a screw type mechanism and the centre was the fixed bit....its quite easy if your drill can go very slow....On slow speed, score it..and then gently increase speed whislst applying gentle presure.
The only pitfalls I see is if you use a hole cutting bit and / or you try going too fast
on a extremly curved part of the fermenter.
You may also try screwing in a piece of wood on the inside of the fermenter, inside the diameter to provide a bit more stability....ie) cut away the hole that contains the screw holes with the fastened wood.

I bought an 7.75 gallon plastic primary at Austin Home Brew last week and they drilled a hole in it at no charge and put in a valve. They used a simple hole saw bit from Lowes. It worked great.

Are there some fitting you can use when you don't have access to the inside of the fermentor? I have some 13 gallon fermentors that look like getting my arm in might not be possible. Since they are both full at the moment I can't really tell yet.
I'm guessing kind of bushing with a barbed end that pops through the hole then when you screw on the nut it tightens against the inside of the carboy. Make sense?

The next part would be to ask that when using a valve through tht hole in toward the bottom, do you take it apart and clean everytime after fermenting? I have a couple of better beer bottles and don't take them apart, but just wanted to ask. I think puckets for the primary and bbb for secondary, all with spigots, is much easier on my back and less effort and equipment to get to keg.

dblee50 said:
The next part would be to ask that when using a valve through tht hole in toward the bottom, do you take it apart and clean everytime after fermenting?

i know i do 'cause it gets filled with a little trub that might need a little more pressure to wash it out, than just filling the fermenter with water and opening the valve. its only hand-tight, so its no biggy to take on and off.

All my fermenters are plastic and I have drilled holes in them all using a hole saw. I've never had a problem with infection.

I just bought two 6.5 gallon BIG mouth bubblers that I plan on using a hole saw on to add spigots. Anyone have a suggestion on where to drill the hole? I was thinking right at the 1 gallon marker. I definitely don't think I want to be under the trub line but if it is above it I could always tilt it forward towards the end of the transfer to my keg. Any thoughts or opinions? Thanks!

The next part would be to ask that when using a valve through tht hole in toward the bottom, do you take it apart and clean everytime after fermenting? I have a couple of better beer bottles and don't take them apart, but just wanted to ask. I think puckets for the primary and bbb for secondary, all with spigots, is much easier on my back and less effort and equipment to get to keg.

I dont . I just soak it for a long time . I drain the hot pbw water through the valve. I've never had an issue . It probably wouldn't hurt to do it every so often but I would think the integrity of the plastic valve , threads and nut could be compromised if done so much .

I just bought two 6.5 gallon BIG mouth bubblers that I plan on using a hole saw on to add spigots. Anyone have a suggestion on where to drill the hole? I was thinking right at the 1 gallon marker. I definitely don't think I want to be under the trub line but if it is above it I could always tilt it forward towards the end of the transfer to my keg. Any thoughts or opinions? Thanks!
Exactly what I did. Worked perfectly.

Like the spigot is right in the middle right? Not below or above that line right? Thanks!

Right in the middle of that line. I used the exact same logic - I wanted to make sure the spigot was above the trub on the bottom when I made IPAs. I assumed that if it was a pilsner or otherwise trub-less beer, I could just tilt it forward while draining. That's all worked out great. I actually have 6 of these, with spigots.

1588765766618.png

1588765783059.png

Right in the middle of that line. I used the exact same logic - I wanted to make sure the spigot was above the trub on the bottom when I made IPAs. I assumed that if it was a pilsner or otherwise trub-less beer, I could just tilt it forward while draining. That's all worked out great. I actually have 6 of these, with spigots.

View attachment 679079

View attachment 679080
Perfect. Thanks for the pictures too. I'll drill mine out Friday on my day off. 👍

I've drilled 8 with a step drill (unibit). One one, the bit grabed too hard and tore the plastic. I had to toss the fermentor. It's possible a hole saw would be better.

How do you intend on drilling yours?
My buddy has more tools then me. He has both. I was thinking a hole saw.

Back