I have to give up on brewing for now..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

syd138

Reaction score
I just can't get my apartment warm enough. I don't have anyone living below me, so the floors are freezing.. its about 7 degrees in Chicago right now.

I kept my heater on last month so my apartment would stay at about 65 during the day.. and my bill was $250. So now I turn it down before I leave for work and its probably in the 50's. Have a batch of Apfel Wein in the primary that is not doing anything because its too cold.

Sucks, but I'll have to wait.

Bump for the aquarium heater immersed in a cooler or rubbermaid . I left my house over Christmas for a week at 55F. My 3 gallons of fermenting port never strayed from +/- 3 degrees from 68 because of my fish heater.

Wee keep our house heat low, and as a person who also does aquariums for a hobby, I can vouch that a $15 aquarium heater will do the trick.

Yeah, I'd work it out. Get a cooler to fit the fermenter and add a cheap aquarium heater. Or buy a brew belt (heated fermenter wrap) for around $20. I'm actually thinking of doing this myself, because my available rooms all fluctuate between day/work/evening/night.

I'll toss one in the hat for using an el-cheapo heating pad from CVS, etc. Tie that sumbitch to your carboy/bucket with a piece of string, and you should be able to get it up above 70f if you want. What's the ambient temp right now in your apartment? My brewhouse (slash basement laundry room) stays around 57f this time of year. Right now, I have my heating pad on high, tied around a fermenting batch of Cidre Saison, and the fermometer says 74. So that's a rise of 17 degrees, and cider isn't even one of those high-activity fermenters either. Just the other week I had an IIPA that unfortunately got above 80 at one point because of the combination of the heating pad and the heat generated by the aerobic activity of fermentation. Plus, this is much less space-consuming and less effort (and cheaper too) than the old "rubbermaid filled with water with aquarium heater" trick.

Evan!,

How much adjustability do you have with the heating pad in terms of temperature? I'll have to give it a whirl sometime....

Bewing a lager is brilliant! I'd start an Oktoberfest so fast, I'd travel back in time. Then, in the past, I'd give myself that advice just before the universe collapses in a quantum irregularity.

I would definitely just brew something up with a yeast that would ferment that low. Depending on where you are at in the 50's, you could probably still even do some Ale's. Kolsch and other German ale yeasts love it in the 50's.

Evan!,

How much adjustability do you have with the heating pad in terms of temperature? I'll have to give it a whirl sometime....

There's three settings (hi, med, lo), and I can get a pretty good range, you just have to pay attention to it. I wish I could rig something up with a temp controller, but I see no good way of doing that short of actually dropping the probe into the wort, which doesn't sit too will with me.

Bewing a lager is brilliant! I'd start an Oktoberfest so fast, I'd travel back in time. Then, in the past, I'd give myself that advice just before the universe collapses in a quantum irregularity.

I will have to give you credit on the proper selection of a username based on this post...

To the OP, get a belt heater as previously mentioned. That will make you much happier than living without homebrew for the next 4 or 5 months.

I'll toss one in the hat for using an el-cheapo heating pad from CVS, etc. Tie that sumbitch to your carboy/bucket with a piece of string, and you should be able to get it up above 70f if you want. What's the ambient temp right now in your apartment? My brewhouse (slash basement laundry room) stays around 57f this time of year. Right now, I have my heating pad on high, tied around a fermenting batch of Cidre Saison, and the fermometer says 74. So that's a rise of 17 degrees, and cider isn't even one of those high-activity fermenters either. Just the other week I had an IIPA that unfortunately got above 80 at one point because of the combination of the heating pad and the heat generated by the aerobic activity of fermentation. Plus, this is much less space-consuming and less effort (and cheaper too) than the old "rubbermaid filled with water with aquarium heater" trick.

+1 for this method. I did the exact same thing to perform a ghetto diacetyl rest, and got a nice 12 degree bump in under 12 hours...

Just make sure if you buy an heating pad, it does NOT have an auto shutoff...My mom gave me an old one of hers when she got a new one, for just that purpose...trouble is, it has a built in automatic shutoff after 1/2 hour...

I wish I could figure out if there was something I could snip to disable it.

It will probably say on the box if it has a shutoff...

Get yourself a Rubbermaid bin and an aquarium heater. A swamp cooler in reverse.

:mug:

+1 to this. You get to pick the temp, and it stays within half a degree. Won't shut off on you after a set amount of time, and the water temp will be equal to the temp inside the bucket. Just be sure to run the heater in some water first to make sure its calibrated, and get the right size.

Back