Unusual bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WIMARIPA

Reaction score
Have a number if bottles that have pointy bottoms that interfere with my bottling wand. Any suggestions on how to make it work in these bottles ?

"pointy bottoms"...

Are you saying your bottoms have a punt? If so, it shouldn't interfere at all. Beyond that, I've got nothing..

If it isn't the punt (dimple at the bottom of a wine bottle) then we are going to need pictures! If it is, just put the wand to the side of it.

it is the dimple, its just that some of them are too big and they don't allow the wand to go to the side. I know I could just take the wand off and fill manually, but I was wondering if anybody else had any tricks.

Unless the punt is incredibly pointy, you should still be able to smoosh, like Tw0fish suggests. I am.

thought of that, no smoosh, very pointy
Well, presuming that you have a bottling wand with a press valve in the bottom i.e. so that when it's withdraw from the bottle it stops running ?

Just touch the valve bit on the top of the punt - a tiny amount of splashing to the bottom of the bottling wand isn't going to matter, or make any difference.

Bottles with a punt in the base are standard, not unusual at all.

If in doubt, just post a picture......

I am able to bottle in most of my bottles with punts, just a few of then are so pointy that the wand slips off before I can depress it enough to let the mead out. I'll post a pic the next time I'm bottling and encounter the problem.

Latest posts

Back