Am I about to make bottle bombs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scuba

Reaction score
A while back I brewed up a porter and went through the following routine:

-Four weeks in the bottle...no carb.
-Shook up and brought to warmer room (72) for three weeks...no carb.
-Shook up and added Coopers drops to each bottle and three weeks later...no improvement.

My guess is the yeast are petered out, so I guess my next step is to add yeast. This batch has 36 bottles remaining. Questions:

-What type of yeast should I add?
-What is the proper way to add it?
-How much should I be adding to each bottle?

What was the OG and FG of the beer, and what kind of yeast did you use? If the yeast is just tired, you could use more of the same if you didn't exceed the alcohol tolerance.

My concern is that if you add some fresh yeast (I like dry Nottingham for that) now, after adding priming solution twice that you may find yourself with some seriously overcarbed beer. Also, if you used a less attenuative yeast in the beer, but add a more attenuative yeast now, you could put yourself at risk of bottle bombs.

What I've done is uncap, and add just one or two grains of dry yeast to the bottle, then recap. That works well, in my experience. Like I said, though, with twice as much priming solution in there, I'd keep an eye on the carbonation.

If you double-primed, you're in for fireworks unless you used something like champagne bottles that are designed to contain that kind of pressure. You'd still have a highly overcarbonated beer.

There's no good way to fix this, I am afraid, unless you are willing to uncap, de-gas, and recap the bottles twice a day or so. And just in case, I would dress up like a motorcyle racer or bank robber while doing that, because the bottles can shatter when you pick them up and drive glass fragments into your skin (and eyes) if you are unlucky.

At this point, I would risk the oxidation and very gently re-pour the bottles into a fermenter (preferably under a blanket of CO2 if you have access to that), add new yeast, let the priming sugar ferment out, and then re-bottle as usual.

I have a similar problem, I think.

the high gravity bock that I created had an OG of 1.092 and has been at 1.020 for a week. this puts tha ABV at 9.45%. However, I put a little in a bottle for 4 days with a fair amount of dextrose to see if the yeast survived. After 4 days there was no activity at all. How do I carbonate the beer.

Oh, I used Notty.

I have a similar problem, I think.

the high gravity bock that I created had an OG of 1.092 and has been at 1.020 for a week. this puts tha ABV at 9.45%. However, I put a little in a bottle for 4 days with a fair amount of dextrose to see if the yeast survived. After 4 days there was no activity at all. How do I carbonate the beer.

Oh, I used Notty.

Notty should be able to give you carbonation. It can go up to 80% attenuation, but it might be slow going. It usually stops right about 75%, but it can go higher. I'd gently turn the bottles end over end, and keep them at 70 degrees for about 3-4 weeks, then chill one and try one. It'll probably carb up just fine.

Notty should be able to give you carbonation. It can go up to 80% attenuation, but it might be slow going. It usually stops right about 75%, but it can go higher. I'd gently turn the bottles end over end, and keep them at 70 degrees for about 3-4 weeks, then chill one and try one. It'll probably carb up just fine.

Unless I am wrong. Here is what I came up with for attenuation.0.769167

Do you still think I am alright?

Back