Poured wort over star sans ( not the foam either)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orangemen5

Reaction score
So I was chilling my wort and sanitizing my carboy. Well I forgot to empty the star sans from the carboy and started pouring my wort in. There was probably about a gallon in there. I realized it half way through but there was nothing I could do so I filled it up and pitched my yeast. I know the foam is ok but I don't know what to expect with a gallon of it. Can i still drink it. It still is mostly water so maybe it will be ok . It hit my OG spot on cause it was the first time crushing my own grain and my SG was ove that's the only good thing to come out of this.

I did this once with about the same amount. It won't cause any trouble and any taste difference will be from the dilution and not the star San itself.

November said:
I did this once with about the same amount. It won't cause any trouble and any taste difference will be from the dilution and not the star San itself.

How did that beer turn out

Immediately after I did it, it tasted sour from the star san . After a few days that went away and it tasted the same as the previous versions except for the fact that it was diluted by a gallon.

I had Starsan being sucked out of the airlock a few times, but could not detect an off flavor. Now the Starsan standing in a bucket for a week or so does get a metallic odor. Maybe it does gets metabolized in the wort.

Hopefully time will get rid of any off flavors it may have. I was mostly worried the batch could be ruined and have to dump it. It was my first all grain and everything went exceptionally well except for this at the very end.

Back