Attention Wisconsin Brewers!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zamial

Reaction score
A group called the Wisconsin Homebrewers Alliance (WIHBA) is a group that is being facilitated by Gary Glass at the AHA and consists of representatives of Homebrew Clubs from around the state. You may have seen the small write up about it in the current issue of Zymurgy. The purpose is to get the law changed so that we may do all of the things we had done in the past legally. The model was the new legislation recently enacted in Oregon.

Today, a "Dear Colleague" letter went out to all the members of the legislature asking them to co-sponsor our legislation. Members have two weeks to sign on before it is introduced. We need all club members (and friends that they have around the state) to contact their state legislators in both the Assembly and the Senate and ask them to co-sponsor LRB 3101 - The Ellis/Kaufert legislation. Direct contact from constituents is the best way to get members to support this legislation. If the sponsors are your members then please let them know that you support the legislation and thank them for their efforts. The more grassroots support that we can get from hombrewers, brewers, home brew shops, distributors, etc. the more likely we are going to get this law changed in the next few months.

Due to the recalls, our window of opportunity is small this year. So, everyone please contact their legislator and have all of their friends around the state do likewise.

If you don't know who your legislators are check out the following link:
Who Are My Legislators?

NOTE: This a slightly modified e-mail that was sent from my home brew club. I have only modified it so that it would make sense to read if you are not a member. My hope is to reach out to homebrewers in the state that do not belong to a club but may be here on HBT. We need to act now and rally as many people behind our cause as possible.

Thank you for taking the time from your busy lives to help mold a better future for homebrewers in the state of Wisconsin.

Z

I think you are unable to really host a beer competition legally, at least that is what I think I remember. A law was on the books, but was brought up due to home brew stores having beer on tap, it was something along those lines.

Not a clue what you are talking about.....what has changed?

Currently, as the law is, we are not legally allowed to drink our homebrew off our "property where it is brewed" the only legal homebrew comp in the entire state is the state fair comp because it has a special clause that allows it.

The WIHBA and AHA has started to get LRB 3101 - The Ellis/Kaufert legislation through. This is very much like what recently happened in Oregon. The proposal would allow us to take our homebrews anywhere we would like and legalize all homebrew competitions. In order for this to move forward we need as many Assembly and the Senate reps behind it as possible.

To get YOUR local reps behind it use the link I provided to find your reps and E-mail them informing them that you live in their district and as a voter are requesting that they become a co-sponsor for LRB 3101 - The Ellis/Kaufert legislation. This is the 1st step to getting the law changed.

With the recall elections and other political happenings we have 2 weeks to get this done. So you all need to contact those Reps. ASAP! This is very much a grass roots thing so we need as many people to contact their reps as possible, your friends and families to.

Does that clear things up?

I just fired this off to my reps...

Hello Representative X-

I live in Stone Bank and am writing to request your support for bill LRB 3101 that will be coming up in the next week. This bill deals with the homebrewing laws in our state. Recently, homebrewing has come under more scrutiny due to its growing popularity and it seems some older laws that were historically not enforced have come to give the community of homebrewers some significant problems. Specifically, we are not to take our homebrewed beer off the premises it was brewed on. This means when I go to my parents' house, I am not able to bring some of my hand crafted beer to share over dinner (or a million other similar situations). Further, I am aware that homebrew stores are not allowed to have sampling at their locations. In the past, sharing of homebrew has been an important vehicle for those of us in the community to share ideas and help one another understand problems and successes in our hobby. One large example is the Northern Brewer store on Hwy 100 just south of I-94. It used to be common place for brewers to bring in a few beers to have critiqued by other brewers or to sample Northern Brewer's newest recipes. This is both a fun and productive practice that ought to be encouraged, not illegal. Finally, I am aware that the legality of homebrew competitions has been questioned.

The homebrewing community is a growing section of industry both worldwide and very much in Wisconsin. Besides that, it is a great hobby for nerds like me who like to read science books and make beer to share with friends and family. The recent change in the application of the laws has significantly decreased the level of community enjoyment we as brewers are allowed.

I would greatly appreciate your support of this bill.

Thank you,
Boerderij Kabouter

Brewmaster of Brauwerij Boerderij Kabouter (in my basement)
Address

If you don't feel like writing anything, just copypaste that.

Yeah this was discussed at our latest club meeting as well. The new law involves more than just competitions. It would also allow us to donate our brew to fundraisers, give it away at beer tasting events, and sample our brews at club meetings, among other things. Even though a lot of this is already done, it is still currently illegal.

But I don't get where you think that our window of opportunity is small, or why the recalls have anything to do with it. The bill has bipartisan support in the committees, and is expected to pass withing the next couple of months. That is not to say you don't need to voice your support to your rep. Every little bit helps.

But I don't get where you think that our window of opportunity is small, or why the recalls have anything to do with it.

I am parroting this info, I am not a direct source unfortunately. In my original e-mail letters time was most certainly brought up as an issue. I plan to bump this thread until mid next week as I was told we have until the end of next week to rally support and contact the reps. (That does not mean wait to the last minute to contact them!!!)

I've emailed my Senator and Representative. When the current laws were explained (namely not being able to bring a 6pack to a friend's house for any reason) the Senator responded "that's just stupid." Hopefully some of the unnecessary laws can give way to some common sense.

also sent to mine...and posted on my facebook for more eyes to see.

(i also told facebookers I couldn't bring beer over anymore, unless this passes)

Senator Risser and Rep. Berceau (17th and 76th Districts) just got a slightly tweaked form letter (thanks Boerderij--didn't have time today. BTW change great to greatly in that last paragraph). Thanks for bringing it to my attention, Zamial.

I sent in my letter! I believe Jake Keeler from Northern Brewer MN came down to Madison to help propose the bill.

One thing that comes to mind that this bill could really help is NB had an off flavor class before. Due to the law now, they are unable to provide beer. If this bill passes, it opens up the opportunity to once again offer this class.

The NB site had the time issue at the bottom of the letter. Via copy/pasta:
Northern Brewer said:
"He did give me one word of warning. Time is running short. The January floor period is taken up already leaving only February and March. The legislature is going to shut ASAP due to the recalls."

and that is why we need to act now. :mug:

Sen. Kestell replied today that he agreed it is outdated, and since I brought this to his attention with my email, he has signed on as a co-sponsor!

But I don't get where you think that our window of opportunity is small, or why the recalls have anything to do with it. The bill has bipartisan support in the committees, and is expected to pass withing the next couple of months. That is not to say you don't need to voice your support to your rep. Every little bit helps.

It's because we have a bunch of morons in this state who believe a continuous election process is appropriate when their person didn't get elected (as opposed to have an election MEAN something and voting their mind in the next regular election). So, the legislative session may not go the whole period in order to allow those being recalled to campaign to keep their jobs (it's the same thing that would happen during a normal election year).

Jaz

It's because we have a bunch of morons in this state who believe a continuous election process is appropriate when their person didn't get elected (as opposed to have an election MEAN something and voting their mind in the next regular election). So, the legislative session may not go the whole period in order to allow those being recalled to campaign to keep their jobs (it's the same thing that would happen during a normal election year).

Jaz

Calling your friends and neighbors morons is not constructive. :off:

Sen. Kestell replied today that he agreed it is outdated, and since I brought this to his attention with my email, he has signed on as a co-sponsor!

Remember that the next time your friend says it's a waste of time to interact with politicians. You can make a different, no matter how trivial this law may be to many people.

(I've contacted my 2(3) by the way)

I have a bad case of the bumps!!! Thread bumps that is! :mug:

Reply from Jeff Stone, still waiting on Senator Lazich.
January 18, 2012

Dear Paul,

Thank you for your email in support of legislation that would update current law regulating
home brewing of wine and fermented malt beverages.

The proposal, LRB 3101, would also create conformity with federal law and laws in other states.
It is being circulated for legislative cosponsor and is expected to be formally introduced in the
near future. Though I am not a cosponsor, I will be sure to review this proposal and take your
views into consideration if and when it comes up for debate before the Assembly in the coming
weeks.

Again, thank you for writing. Please feel free to contact me if I may be of further assistance.

Sincerely,

Jeff Stone
State Representative
82nd Assembly District

Latest posts

Back