Dry Yeast Storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had mine storing in the fridge as well and this batch I just brewed seems to be taking a while to start bubbling. Hopefully the yeast is alive and well!?!? Any thoughts?

I had mine storing in the fridge as well and this batch I just brewed seems to be taking a while to start bubbling. Hopefully the yeast is alive and well!?!? Any thoughts?

Was it dry yeast? If so, did you re-hydrate it before pitching? What strain was it?

I didn't rehydrate it at the discretion of an employee at brewmasters in San Leandro, CA. It is Safale S04.

It has started bubbling now but not firing off like the other batches. I "think" I'm good! Hope I'm good! Haha

Did you let the yeast warm up to room temp or just pitch from the fridge? The only long lag time I ever had was when I finished brewing late one night and relized I had not taken the yeast out. 48 hours later it started.

http://www.redstaryeast.com/lessons-yeast-baking/yeast-shelf-life-storage/dry-yeast

Dry brewing yeast should have the same storage requirements as IDY (instant dry yeast) for baking, right? If so, you won't be hurting the yeast keeping it in the fridge or freezer, but 'cool dry place' is just fine, too. Mine just sits in the pantry with all the other non-hops bewing stuff.

No beer stuff in my kitchen. It's a line I don't cross.

Response from Dr. Clayton Cone:
Active Dry Yeast, at <5% moisture, is originally packaged in an oxygen free atmosphere either via nitrogen flush or vacuum. Under these conditions they will loose about 20% activity / year when stored at 20C.(68F) and about 5% activity / year when stored at 4C.(40F). It is the presence of Oxygen and the pick up of small amounts of moisture that causes the yeast to deteriorate at a faster rate, once the package has been opened. If you can vacuum pack (kitchen vacuum package equipment)or store in an air tight container and refrigerate you may retain a substantial amount of the activity. It would be wise to increase the inoculum 50% to be on the safe side. It is always a gamble, depending on how much moisture the cells have picked up each time you open and close the package and return to the refrigerator.

31FIFTY said:
I didn't rehydrate it at the discretion of an employee at brewmasters in San Leandro, CA. It is Safale S04.

Why did they say not to rehydrate the S-04?

http://www.redstaryeast.com/lessons-yeast-baking/yeast-shelf-life-storage/dry-yeast

Dry brewing yeast should have the same storage requirements as IDY (instant dry yeast) for baking, right? If so, you won't be hurting the yeast keeping it in the fridge or freezer, but 'cool dry place' is just fine, too. Mine just sits in the pantry with all the other non-hops bewing stuff.

Whoops, I'm totally full of crap, sorry. All the fermentis info says cool is under 50 degrees F so fridge it is!:cross:

Ok have a question doing some testing on cider dry yeast, we have received several 500g packets once. Open can I store this and how can I store so they will not go south,
Can I put it in a foodsaver bag and take the air out and seal will this help?
Got the samples from yeast manufacturing company for testing.

Back