Keezer Question - Cooling the Coffin?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t3e871

Reaction score
I will start another thread to document my "keezer" build, but I have a question that is holding up my construction.

I decided to insulate the coffin and use a bathroom exhaust fan to circulate the cool air when the compressor is running.

What are some opinions out there on which way to route the air - blowing into the coffin or out of the coffin?

This is the back side of the coffin, with no back, and no insulation yet"
coffin%20airflow%20question.JPG

This is the front of the keezer:
keezer.JPG

It doesn't really matter. As long as you are moving air you are fine. I'd have push air in though, just because. On mine I actually dont even cool the coffin and its fine.

Edit: Also, I like the look of the design you have going. I hope you have a nice table saw for the angles you have going on there though. Do you have experience with wood working?

Thanks creulkix, I planned on using 80mm computer fans to circulate the air inside, but I wired two of them to the base to keep the outside of the freezer cool and they just don't push that much air.

It popped in my head today while I was walking around home depot to use a bathroom fan. So I picked up a cheap one for $14. http://tinyurl.com/7rfsn7n

Yes those angles are all 10.6 degrees and I have them all cut. I was amazed at how accurate it came out. I designed the entire thing in sketchup before even buying the lumber...I used African mahogany and it looks pretty nice unfinished.

You can see the file I uploaded to the model warehouse here: http://tinyurl.com/7ynx6ys

I'll post the progress pictures in another thread and link to it tonight. I want to give credit to the appropriate people in this forum that I stole my ideas from. I can't remember all of the names at the moment.

And yes I have a garage full of woodworking tools and that is my "other" mistress. I have been woodworking longer than I have been brewing beer!

Yeah, I did the whole sketchup thing before I built my bar as well. I, however, was a complete wood working noob! Bought a tablesaw just to build the bar haha.

I'm glad everything came out accurate and I'm anxious to see finished pics!

The bathroom fan will move more than enough air. I might even call it over kill, but for $14 bucks who cares.

So i was reading hte specs on that fan. 50 CFM is a crap load.

The only concern I would have is that it runs at 4 sones which is approximately 55 Dba. Umm, that is not quiet.

Conversational speech at 1 foot away 60 dba
Average office noise 50 dba
Quiet conversation 40 dba
Quiet office 30 dba
Quiet living room 20 dba

I'm sure you will have it closed up, but its something to think about.

Just started my build thread - will post the pictures tonight:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-keezer-documentary-308787/

The bathroom fan will move more than enough air. I might even call it over kill, but for $14 bucks who cares.
Yes...that's what I was thinking, and HD is pretty good at taking returns if it doesn't work out.

The only concern I would have is that it runs at 4 sones which is approximately 55 Dba. Umm, that is not quiet.

I wasn't sure what "sones" meant, but I can relate to Dba. HD actually had a display with all of the bathroom fans on it and 3 buttons that created the sound of a fan...I wanted the 2 sones, but the cheapest one was $79 and it was HUGE.

I'm hoping that with the insulation and wood surrounding it, that it's not that bad. If it is, I may just scrap that plan and not use a fan - like you said.

I've heard both sides and it seems to be about 50/50 on cooling the coffin vs. not. I just don't want to have to go back and "add" something if I get foaming problems!

purplehaze, thanks for the link..I have read that post and will have to go back and read it again...

Also will have to read your "no fans" post...looks interesting!

Nice design!

Personally I have one fan drawing air up into the coffin, where it follows a chase made from Foamular over the shanks and then back into the keezer via another hole (along with the beer lines and the temp probe.

I will start another thread to document my "keezer" build, but I have a question that is holding up my construction.

I decided to insulate the coffin and use a bathroom exhaust fan to circulate the cool air when the compressor is running.

What are some opinions out there on which way to route the air - blowing into the coffin or out of the coffin?

This is the back side of the coffin, with no back, and no insulation yet"
coffin%20airflow%20question.JPG

This is the front of the keezer:
keezer.JPG

What program did you use to design it?

Back