Mashing a strawberry blonde

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmurph6

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm going to be making a strawberry blonde next week and had a few questions regarding how to mash this beer. Since this beer will be lightly hopped with only a 60 minute addition and the grist is 80-20 pilsner/wheat, I'm afraid I won't have a ph suited for optimal mashing. What should I do to overcome this? I plan on using strait RO, or some kind of blend of RO and tap. Thanks in advance!

Acid malt or water additions or acid rest. I know the typical tricks, trying to get advice on which is best.

whats wrong with that grist.....seems fine to me. why not use non-RO water?

Do you have a water report and ph meter? No sense in just adding salts/acid based on conjecture.

Ph 7.4
Total alkalinity as caco3 174
Bicarbonate 212
Fluoride .26
Chloride 52
Sulfate 14
TDS 290
Calcium 50.9
Iron .335
Mg 8.28
Sodium 39.7

I typically dilute my water with 50-75 % RO or Distilled due to iron concentration.

I use that spreadsheet, however, I'm not sure if I should just put a lot of gypsum in, use acid malt, or just go with a ph stabilizer.

Pick one method. Try it. Pick another next time. Try that. Continue with small batches until you find what works for you best.

I run HERMS so the acid rest is my method of choice because I can do steps pretty easy.

Back