Suggestions for first batch? Time constraints

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HB_Aggie

Reaction score
So I'm picking up my starting kit form a LHBS in a week or two, and I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to brew first. I prefer darker and heavier beers but I'm under a slight time constraint. I would be able to brew no earlier than May 4th and it would need to be bottled by May 23rd. I was thinking about a cream ale but I'm not sure if there are other beers with quick fermentation times. I would prefer not to have to rush it, but if I don't do it by the 23rd, it'll be months before I can.

A Cream ale should be ready in that time frame(although you are right to not want to rush it),so would an Irish Red or most low to medium gravity beers. Good luck and let us know.

That's 19 days. You can do about any medium to low gravity beer in that amount of time if you can control your fermentation temperatures. I do let some of my beer sit longer in the fermenter but most don't really need it. A high gravity beer needs longer because the yeast slow as the alcohol level goes up.

Try to keep the temperature near the low end of the yeast's preferred range. For most ales that would be in the low to mid 60's. When the ferment slows, usually 4 to 5 days, you can encourage the yeast to speed up by letting the fermenter warm up into the low 70's.

Even letting it warm up to 68-70F is good to be sure the yeast finishes in the recipe's stated FG range. 19 days may be enough,but pushing the average fermentation to hit FG & clean up & settle out clear or slightly misty.
Wheat beer or cream ale should get it done in that time frame.

Back