Bottle Sediment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wino24

Reaction score
Hi all...this may sound like a silly question, but here goes.....

Is it possible for a bottle to sit for 2 weeks and there be no sediment at all in the bottle?...I bottled an oatmeal stout 2 weeks sgo and cracked 1 open just to see how it was coming along. There was a slight "pssst" and no sediment, normally I see something.
Where the bottles are is just a bit cool so I know that's why it has been slow to carbonate, but I thought it odd that there was no sediment at all.

Ideas??
Thanks

perhaps you did a good job letting the yeast/trub settle before bottling? could be the yeast strain also... and if it hasn't carbonated quite yet, i wouldn't expect to see much yeast on the bottom... in fact, i don't normally get much sediment when i bottle, have you had a lot in other brews?

edit: wouldn't it be difficult to see any sediment in an oatmeal stout?

It is possible and has happened to many of us. I once had a chocolate stout that for whatever reason took much longer than 3 weeks to carbonate. I couldn't see any yeast on the bottom for 6 weeks and it didn't fully carbonate until about week 8.

Android....the sediment I'm talking about is what is left in the bottle after pouring. The yeast I used was S-04. I know that that yeast produces a clear beer, but like I said, I normally see something in the bottle. Guess I'll let it sit....patience-patience .

Every beer is different. And if you've long primaried or secondaried, if you've used anything like moss, if you've cold crashed, or even depending on the yeast strain, or how the yeast strain interracts with certain grain proteins, could be cause of the amount of bottle sediment, or lack of it in the bottles, and nothing could be wrong at all.....

The thing to realize is, making beer is nearly foolproof if you trust the process, and more importantly trust that the yeast knows what to do.

I've had plenty of beers that had little or no sediment in them.

Relax.

Latest posts

Back