Bottling in the rubber-gasketed swing-top growlers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacounts3

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
I'm a first time home brewer. I have some growlers that I plan to bottle in. These growlers are not screw top and have the rubber-gasketed swing-top closure.

I'm reading mixed reviews on bottling in growlers, but everything I can find refers to the screw top growlers. Has anyone had any experiences bottling in the rubber-gasketed swing-top growlers?

Any advice on how many fizz tabs I should use when bottling in a 2L growler?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Growlers in general are not meant to carbonate in as they are not designed for the pressures of carbonation, only for storage of already carbonated beer. They can explode!

If these are larger Grolsch style bomber bottles then they are fine to carbonate in as the glass is much thicker. It is also important to be sure the rubber gaskets are in good condition and form a very tight seal or the CO2 will simply escape.

I have bottled in a swing top growler. My swing top growler is very heavy due to how thick the glass is. My other 3 growlers are screw top and no where near as sturdy. I've used both types without any explosions, but I avidly avoid having to use any growler for bottle condition whenever possible. If I do have to use a growler, then I try to just use the thick one with the swing top. :mug:

As for carb tabs, I'm not sure. You may have to do the math for converting from 12 oz to 2 L.

I typically batch prime the whole 5 gal at once.

Back