Completely new to the world of cheese making

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caboose

Reaction score
So I've been making beer for about a year now and I really want to try my hand in cheese.

I found a pretty simple mozzarella recipe online and the only 2 items I am a little lost as to where I am going to find Citric Acid and Retten. I know I can find them online, but I am impatient and wont to do it tonight, does anyone have any suggestions on where I might be able to find it locally?

jungle jims up in cincy i think sells it lol other then that, best of luck! :)

Well I ended up finding Citric Acid at one of our liquor stores that sells a few homebrew items. Then I got home and my wife mentioned Kenny's Farmhouse Cheese. He is a local farmer and he makes world class cheese. No kidding, its the cheese that Emeril Lagasse uses in most of his shows. Its amazing cheese.

She got me his number and I gave him a call in hopes he might have some he could sell me. I told him that I was new to cheese and was wanting to try my hand in it and the only thing I couldn't find locally was retten. Right off the bat he was like Ive got some you could use! Then he asked if I wanted to come by and pick up a few oz. So of course we did and I got to watch him finish up a batch of Gouda and then he showed me around their shop.

Now my problem is that the retten he uses is made for commercial use. He said they use 1 oz per 100 gallons. The recipe I have found for mozzarella calls for 1 gallon. So I need .01 of an oz. I guess my question now is, can I dilute the retten with water or something else, or how could I measure out .01 oz. I guess I may just have to put a single drop in and pray for the best....

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Heres a link to Kennys if anyone wants to check them out, trust me, if you order some you wont be disappointed!

http://www.kennysfarmhousecheese.com/

I dilute my rennet with water and haven't had any problems. Usually 1/4 to 1/2 a cup. I also dilute my citric acid with about a cup of water.

Back