Substitution for Wyeast 1187?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pyro

Reaction score
Help! I need to find a dry substitution for Wyeast 1187...pitched over 72 hours ago and nothing. I don't have time to make a trip to the LHBS but I have a lot of stock dry yeast in the fridge. Any suggestions? This is for a Robust Porter (AHS kit).

I've never used 1187, so I don't really know what you're trying to substitute. However, when I look at the description, I see "unique fermentation and flavor characteristics." I don't know that you can substitute for "unique."

TL

pitch a pack of US05 and two tablespoons of butter :)

I suppose your best bet would be something lower attenuating like s04 or windsor kept on the colder side. edit: or S33 which isn't too estery..crash it before it attenuates too far.

Pyro said:
Help! I need to find a dry substitution for Wyeast 1187...pitched over 72 hours ago and nothing. I don't have time to make a trip to the LHBS but I have a lot of stock dry yeast in the fridge. Any suggestions? This is for a Robust Porter (AHS kit).

Before you pitch again I can tell you from experience that this one is a very very slow starter.. Once it gets going though it chugs along nicely. I might give it a little more time. Took mine over 72hours when I pitched it into the NB Porter kit without a starter.

OK...still no bubbles. On hand, I have Windsor, Nottingham, Superior Lager, Munton's Lager, and a bunch of wine yeast including everything Lavin and Red sStar make. Thought I had some Safeale but I guess I'm out. If Windsor or Nottingham aren't preferred, thenI guess I'll have to make time for a LHBS run. How long will wort last without active fermentation anyway?

TexLaw said:
I would probably pitch Nottingham. Don't pitch the lager yeasts, and REALLY don't pitch the wine yeasts!

TL

Nottingham will finish more neutral/cleaner and dryer than Ringwood would...Windsor might acutally be a closer match: Lower attenuation/malty w/ some light fruity esters fermented below 70. Agreed on those wine yeasts!

Course, it might be worth taking some hydro readings and making sure you are not plagued by a faulty lid seal or something similar.

brewt00l said:
Nottingham will finish more neutral/cleaner and dryer than Ringwood would...Windsor might acutally be a closer match: Lower attenuation/malty w/ some light fruity esters fermented below 70. Agreed on those wine yeasts!

Course, it might be worth taking some hydro readings and making sure you are not plagued by a faulty lid seal or something similar.

Good points all around. I was just thinking "robust porter - go clean." I also need to go to bed. :)

TL

Hold the phone people! Success! About 80-90 hours into it and we have fermentation. I have never had a brew take this long to start fermentation, but she's bubblin away this morning. I'm not complaining, just curious. I know ohiodad has had this happen before, but anyone else? Did we both just get bad batches of yeast on their way out...with maybe 1 billion cells instead of 100 billion? Was my smackpack not swelling just coincidence or related to the problem?Or does all Ringwood ale yeast do this?

Ok. Now this yeast won't quit! I'm 9 days since brew date (6 days since fermentation began) and it's still going strong. It definitley didn't start strong, but I'm at about 1 bubble every 3 seconds now. Is it okto leave in primary until it's done? Or should I rack now and let it finish in the secondary?

Leave it in primary until its done. No need to rush it out of primary... I've left beers in primary for 6 weeks before with no ill-effects.

Many others are also taking the longer primary stance lately... 9 days is definitely not too long and especially if you are still chugging at 1 bubble per 3 seconds.

On the point of lag time with 1187, I would argue that the yeast performes as well, if not better than most others I have used. Granted, I am rigid on my yeast and wort preperation. I pitched a decanted 2 liter 1187 starter (from stir plate) onto a properly airated 1.061 porter on Monday around 11:30 PM. by 6:30 AM, I was in active fermentation.

Used the 1187 wyeast here 3 days ago.

The package didn't swell much, but it did a little 3 hours after smacking.

3 days later it's up and running.

Back