to be or not to be?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johns

Reaction score
So I am brewing a pliny the elder today and at the flameout just before I begin to use the chiller, my niece comes in and drops a pendant into the wort. It was not a new pendant, and I am not sure how old it was, My sister then comes in and proceeds to fish it out with a slotted spatula before I begin to protest it was already in the wort.......WTF??????? So the question here is .......is the patch ruined from infection??? Its heavy beer, but then again the slapac did not go off like I had expected. I have never used on before and I just set it on the counter with out bursting the inside. On the inside there is the packet of nutrient that should have been broken. So, again, I ask the question, will the wort turn into beer or is it a batch that will go down the drain?

I understand that I will wait a few days and see if it starts fermentation, If the fermentation starts, then I will wait till the bubblier stops and then take a reading, (at which point I hope everything will be alright).

Since it was flameout, there probably won't be a problem. If you were that worried about it, you could have brought it back up to a boil for a couple minutes to make sure.

Well today it started to bubble. I can only hope the ferment finishes. I would really hate to through out this patch. It was an expensive one.

At flameout the wort was near the boiling point. That is well above what is needed for pasteurization so anything dropped in there at that point was pasteurized very quickly. The danger period is when your wort is below 150 and even had it happened then, you most likely overwhelmed any bacteria with the massive amount of yeast cells and now that fermentation has started the bacteria will have an even harder time as the beer now has alcohol that the bacteria have to contend with. Just feel blessed to have a niece. :rockin:

thanks.. with that comment I feel better. Nothing like this has ever happened. I have only brewed about 10 5 gallon batches of beer and 10 5 gallon batches of mead and dropping anything into the wort freaks me out. :rockin:

Latest posts

Back