keezer, ranco controller, durability question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dapozer

Reaction score
For those that go this route how durable is it. The ranco being a non proportional t-state means it powers on and off (like plugging in and out) the refrigeration unit. does this cause stress on the parts? Also what temp difference do you program. I am very familiar with the ranco as i use them on my snake tanks, just want to know what it does to the refrig unit. is there a better t stat? what temps doe you set freezer at? can freezer actually be turned down to acceptable levels and go without t stat?

Cycling a freezer on and off with a temp. controller does place some stress on the compressor, but if you have a newer chest freezer this shouldn't be much of a problem. If you are planning on using a chest freezer you will need a temp controller as even on the warmest setting you will still be below freezing. Most of us have our serving temps set between 38-45 degrees F.

Latest posts

Back