Cream Ale Cream of Three Crops (Cream Ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, since I had a small post boil volume, it seems the beer is pretty strong! Tasted GREAT to me and everyone, along with the Centennial Blonde brewed the same night.

Thanks again!

My shriner buddies absolutely HATED this beer. They were critical of every aspect of it. They all drink Miller Lite exclusively, so I consider this the ultimate compliment coming from them! :)

Some people can't even give another beer a chance. The funny thing about this is they probably couldn't identify Miller Light in a blind taste test.

Get these beers together; Miller Light, Bud Light, Coors Light, Busch Light, Natural Light, Michelob Light.

Pour these into plastic cups numbered 1-6. Add number 7 (like 3-crop)

Let them drink two beers before doing the test, but the beer should not be their favorite. Make them pick one or two substitutes.

Then write down on paper 1-7 with the beer types/brands.

Afterward when they figure out how far off they were they might be willing to accept the home brew as a worthy beer.

This will debunk the hardcore ML drinkers that they can only drink ML.

Finished this beer (first AG!) and learned some lessons: LOTS of rice hulls, I used about a cup's worth, this was not nearly enough and my sparge was troublesome. Also, be sure to have enough sparge water ready!! (newb mistake I guess). I ran more than a gallon low on wort to the kettle, and had to top off with a lot before pitching. Doesn't appear to have mattered much - i just tasted it after 2 wks primary, NICE. I was expecting this to be boring, but it is quite enjoyable and makes me anxious to do some yardwork :)

Not clear after 2 weeks, though. Time to crash cool and keg? Hopefully this won't need finings to get the advertised crystal clear shine. I forgot irish moss in the confusion. I was trying to get a handle on the new AG procedures.

Based on my sampling, this will be very popular.

Clear as Clear can be after 16 days.

My original and my final gravity were a bit high. 1.049 and 1.009

I think my friends that drink BMC will drink this. And that was the goal.

Thanks BierMuncher!

Is a long lasting white krausen normal on this brew. I've had krausen for 8 days now. White, creamy.. lotsa bubbles. I'm sure its fine , just wondering if it was the corn or rice that caused it.

My LHBS was a shy on the corn by a pound so I doubled up on the rice. Didn’t use rice hulls, won’t make that mistake again. I’ve got another week before the keg and I’m curious to see how it comes out.

I had the same issues with only 1cup of rice hulls. When I added more it got better, however I think wast really helped was opening the valve slowly and limiting the flow for the first 5min. After that I was able to open her up and it was fine.

7lbs 2 row
2 lbs flaked corn
1 lbs rice
Kolsch yeast
Hallertau hops for 20 or so IBUs with light aroma

plus rice hulls and irish moss

When I put this recipe into beersmith with 5.5 lbs of two row the % alcohol is listed as about 4.5, and I was hoping fpr something a little higher - say 5.5

Does anyone think that upping the corn to say 3 lbs would too much? If I up the two row to 7lbs and leave the corn at 2 lbs that puts me right at 5.5, just upping the corn to 3lbs will give me 5% alc which is cool.

I'm looking for a nice crisp light lager like ale that I can enjoy along with my BMC buddies, I wouldn't mind a corn taste (I guess! I have never used corn before so I really don't Know). Maybe 4.5% alc is fine...

7lbs 2 row
2 lbs flaked corn
1 lbs rice
Kolsch yeast
Hallertau hops for 20 or so IBUs with light aroma

plus rice hulls and irish moss

When I put this recipe into beersmith with 5.5 lbs of two row the % alcohol is listed as about 4.5, and I was hoping fpr something a little higher - say 5.5

Does anyone think that upping the corn to say 3 lbs would too much? If I up the two row to 7lbs and leave the corn at 2 lbs that puts me right at 5.5, just upping the corn to 3lbs will give me 5% alc which is cool.

I'm looking for a nice crisp light lager like ale that I can enjoy along with my BMC buddies, I wouldn't mind a corn taste (I guess! I have never used corn before so I really don't Know). Maybe 4.5% alc is fine...

I'm just about to bottle mine tomorrow after 2weeks in 2ndry and it tastes VERY corny w/ 2lbs.If I had to re-do it I would probably up the rice & lower the corn.Maybe a little corn sugar or honey to dry it out.Mine finished at 1.008.Keep in mind light beers have around 4.2% alc. Any more might give too much alcohol taste and 5.5 will just be a different beer--not a bad beer but just a different one.

so may be I'll keep to the original-ish recipe of
5.5 lbs 2row
2 lbs flaked corn
but double the rice to 2 lbs
That will yield 5% on the nose (a compromise!). Now will this make it too...

ricy? (ok I'm a noob I guess since I've no experience with anything but grain and a little honey)

A pound of honey would defiantly do the trick though, didn't even think of that. Maybe I'll try that instead.

so may be I'll keep to the original-ish recipe of
5.5 lbs 2row
2 lbs flaked corn
but double the rice to 2 lbs
That will yield 5% on the nose (a compromise!). Now will this make it too...

ricy? (ok I'm a noob I guess since I've no experience with anything but grain and a little honey)

A pound of honey would defiantly do the trick though, didn't even think of that. Maybe I'll try that instead.
Just keep in mind that the only thing the honey will add is dryness and alcohol so it may be the best all around boost for this beer.I just looked at my recipe and it only had 8oz rice for some reason.Oh I see-I added8oz. flaked wheat.Maybe 6-2row,2fl.corn,1rice,1honey=5.5% @ 75%efficiency.

I thought about wheat too, I've seen it in other cream ale recipes and I like wheat in my beer. I think I'll try 1lb of honey this time round and then 1 lb of wheat next time. I don't know what 1lb of wheat (or more) would make it but I'll bet it would be good.
maybe 2 lbs of wheat and no rice... I really have no business creating new recipes at this point.

This beer is for my dad(a bmc) drinker and not really my style.For me,my next light beer is going to be something like 1/2 2-row,1/2 malted wheat & maybe a little lemon peel for flavoring,fermented w/ s-05 for a clean crisp summer beer.

I can't wait to make this again. I've been on a kick for the low gravity beers lately. I have an infant at home and I need something where I can have a few and not be on the way to being half in the bag druck.

This is a tasty beer. Light it is but not void of flavor, you can taste the corn/rice adjunct. Frankly its nice damn session beer.

This beer is on my July 4th beer menu, as is Edworts AW. Gonna serve both through my new jockey box. :rockin:

This beer is for my dad(a bmc) drinker and not really my style.For me,my next light beer is going to be something like 1/2 2-row,1/2 malted wheat & maybe a little lemon peel for flavoring,fermented w/ s-05 for a clean crisp summer beer.

That really sounds good. I am planning something along those lines too. I recently made a wit and while I'm happy with how it came out its nothing like a nice light wheat beer.

Made this yesterday with Brew in a bag method. I think I met all my numbers, I was so messed up by the time I was done I can't be sure. I learned that I cannot handle a 10 gallon batch brew in a bag even with cheater pipes & a rope. I did get a good fast rise in water temp with my burner (this was the first 10 gallon batch with this burner). The wort was yummy & sweat & my hops hit just the right note. I used a washed yeast I had on hand and had action within 3 hours of pitching. All in all looks like a good start. :)

Hey BM, have you tried playing around with some of the ingredients? adding fruits? spices? I know that its not to "style" but "Hang the Code!"

Hey BM, have you tried playing around with some of the ingredients? adding fruits? spices? I know that its not to "style" but "Hang the Code!"

Nah. The most I've ever done is draw back the corn and rice by 50% and replace with cane sugar.

Got quite a bit dryer and crisper with that.

My Sterling Gold satisfies my need for some "zing" when it comes to a good summer beer.

Brewed this yesterday almost to the tee, my expected OG was 1.041 with a 5 gal batch 75% BH eff., My final gravity was 1.050 with 5.5 gals of wort. The Smith says I came out to 90 some brewhouse efficiency, could this be right?

I brewed this last Tuesday. My OG was also 1.050 on the nose and my BHE was also 90% (well, 89.8% to be exact). What a coincidence.

This was my first attempt at a AG stovetop half batch. It was smooth sailing, easy flowing. My only hiccup was my MLT couldn't hold all my sparge water (it's a 2.5 gallon cooler) so I had to do two half hour sparges instead of one hour-long sparge. At the end of the day though, what does it matter with 90% BHE???

Hey FishinDave-

I brewed this batch with the total intent to make a Miller Chill/Bud Lite with Lime type of brew. I'm in the process of making some lime extract that I'll add at bottling along with a touch of Splenda (just under a 1/4 cup in a 2.5 gallon batch.) because the above mentioned macros have a touch of sweetness. I'm expecting great things. I let you know how it turns out!

Cool, glad someone else got in the same ballpark, I kept checking my self for errors but found none. I adjusted my recipe just a smidge to account for the higher OG, my volume well what can you do. I added .75 Oz of Williamete 5% for 60 mins and the other .25 Oz at 5 mins. Hope it adds a twinge of aroma and a bit more IBU to offset any problems.

Mine will have a touch more hop taste to it as well- I've got some old Cascade leaf that's not super zesty, but enough to make a difference. My boil for volume went 25 min too long so I added a "pinch" (I didn't care enough to measure. I'm a chef at heart!) about 70 minutes into the boil just to compensate. I tasted today in the secondary and it was good without being too much hops.

Nah. The most I've ever done is draw back the corn and rice by 50% and replace with cane sugar.

Got quite a bit dryer and crisper with that.

QUOTE]

that kind of sounds like a good thing.

has anyone tried using 6row instead of 2row?

If one were to add a fruit aspect to this brew what would you recommend BM? Would orange be a nice addition? Trying to put something together for the wife.

I brewed yesterday.

#6 Two Row
#2 Flaked Rice
#2 Flaked Corn
.5 oz Willamette
.5 oz Mt. Hood
Safeale-05 (pitched from packet)

7G pre-boil, 5.5G in the carboy.

OG 1.049

Slight airlock activity after about 17 hours. Is this normal? What can I expect for a FG?

I brewed yesterday.

#6 Two Row
#2 Flaked Rice
#2 Flaked Corn
.5 oz Willamette
.5 oz Mt. Hood
Safeale-05 (pitched from packet)

7G pre-boil, 5.5G in the carboy.

OG 1.049

Slight airlock activity after about 17 hours. Is this normal? What can I expect for a FG?
With a similar grain bill,and 149F mash temp and S-05,mine had an OG of 1.044 and a FG of 1.008

You won't be disappointed unless you just royally screw it up. I did 3 weeks primary then bottled. After only 2 weeks in the bottle, it is not as clear as I wanted, but the taste is awesome! It has to be ready for our 3rd Annual Cinco de Mayo party this Saturday, otherwise, I would have secondaried it a week.

I brewed 10 gallons of this Saturday.. Except I used 1 oz of Centennial (9% AA) for bittering hops. I don't think the substitution will change it too much, the AAs are still close.

I threw together 10 gallons of a modified recipie for this; I used some 6-row in addition to the grain bill and drew off 8.5 gallons of wort; boiled down to 7. Ended up with 1.068 /1.013 (7.19 -ABV) and it's freaking delicious!

injury_ale.jpg

We called it injury ale... have you ever seen a pair of welding gloves catch on fire? We did that day! March Pump was jacked up - heated up sparge water and thought it would be a good idea to ask a friend to grab the keggle with me with welding gloves.... those gloves are indeed flamable!

Hey BM,
what's your water profile look like when you brew this. i always have a bit of a problem with lighter beers. my calcium numbers are way off and it really affects the flavor. i wanna give this recipe a shot this weekend. think i may try water adjustments for the first time.

thanks

Hey BM,
what's your water profile look like when you brew this. i always have a bit of a problem with lighter beers. my calcium numbers are way off and it really affects the flavor. i wanna give this recipe a shot this weekend. think i may try water adjustments for the first time.

thanks
Not speaking for BM but I treated this one like a pils,since flavor defects show so easily in this style.I used RO water & treated the mash w/ 1 tsp. gypsum and it came out quite well.Just sparged w/ straight RO water.

I think this sounds like an awesome brew when on the boat. I don't know about you but I don't like to slug back oatmeal stouts and then try to get up water skiing. That dosen't sound pleasent.

I'll be making it this weekened and I may have to substitute the Safale-05 for -04. I'll post to let everyone know how it turns out. Cheers! :cross:

my buddy and I are brewing that right now... just realized the safale 05 wasn't in the box with all the grain. Local brew shop only had "Coopers" brewing yeast. This is only my third brew =/ how drastically will this ruin this beer?

Alternatively could I toss an airlock on this and wait for the packet in the mail and then pitch later?

Its 7:13pm - starting boil around 7:45. Let me know <3 ty

Back