Why would you buy a ranco pre-wired

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RockfordWhite

Reaction score
Just wondering, I have little to no electrical experience, and i bought a non-wired ranco to save me 20-30 bucks or whatever it is...i have no idea why people would ever buy those already wired, it is so simple...

So yeah, if you are looking to buy one, save your money, it costs under 10 to DIY and it's uber easy

Simple economics...

If I were selling peanut butter, jelly, and bread, but I could get a 25% markup for spending the 60 seconds to put them all together, you'd better believe I'd be making some sammiches!

I need to buy a 2nd Ranco. I traded two sixers to an electrician friend to wire up the last one. Anybody gonna put up a detailed how-to one of these days?

Oh, I know why they make them, to con the people who don't understand how easy it is...

I used this, very easy and straightforward, if you have ever stripped a wire and tightened a screw then you are capable of doing this... All it cost me an cheap extension cord (6 bucks) and a cheap romex thingy...

Wiring a Ranco Temperature Controller - BrewBoard

So easy a caveman can do it

Simple economics...

If I were selling peanut butter, jelly, and bread, but I could get a 25% markup for spending the 60 seconds to put them all together, you'd better believe I'd be making some sammiches!

very well said!!!

Oh, I know why they make them, to con the people who don't understand how easy it is...

I used this, very easy and straightforward, if you have ever stripped a wire and tightened a screw then you are capable of doing this... All it cost me an cheap extension cord (6 bucks) and a cheap romex thingy...

Wiring a Ranco Temperature Controller - BrewBoard

So easy a caveman can do it

Dude, it's not a con. Maybe some people just want the choice. Personally, I do most of the home improvement stuff around my house, and much of it, like electrical wiring, is easy as hell. But there are a lot of people out there who don't know electrical wiring, and don't want to get into it, they'd rather just pay someone else to do it. And Ranco is catering to those people by offering a choice. I don't see how that's a "con".

K1owledgable - Unafraid | K2owledgeable - Afraid
Knowledgable - Unafraid | Knowledgeable - Afraid
Knowledgable - Unafraid | Knowledgeable - Afraid
-----------------------------------------------
I3norant - Unafraid -----| I4norant - Afraid
Ignorant - Unafraid -----| Ignorant - Afraid
Ignorant - Unafraid -----| Ignorant - Afraid

Which cell represent those most likely to kill themselves?
It's made for them.

Ok, a con is a little extreme, but honestly, a 25% mark up (from 60 to 75 on the ranco etc store), is a little much for what you are getting...

I guess the main point of this thread is don't be afraid of wiring your own ranco, i have very little electrical experience and it took me 10-15 min and it works perfectly

Some of the time I'm using the Ranco to control the reefer, sometimes a heater inside the reefer. A pre-wired unit is much easier to switch between the two. I also use the same controller in cold weather to control lager temperatures in an insulated box in the garage. Good power cords aren't free, so the savings isn't all that large.

For my kegger, I wired a second Ranco into a power bar. Both the freezer and some circulation fans are plugged into the bar. The bar has a switch, so I can work on the kegger without the power cutting in or having to unplug the controller.

Ok, I wired my own and did not burn the house down yet. Any fool can do it. See :)

Ok, a con is a little extreme, but honestly, a 25% mark up (from 60 to 75 on the ranco etc store), is a little much for what you are getting...

I guess the main point of this thread is don't be afraid of wiring your own ranco, i have very little electrical experience and it took me 10-15 min and it works perfectly

I picked up my ranco off e-bay prewired new for 80.00 shipped to my door. Have had no problems for the 3+ months I have used so far:drunk:

To me... it would actually be worth 15 bucks to have it come out of the box ready to plug in. Not fear or ignorance. Just personal preference.

And maybe a little sloth thrown in to boot. :D

Back