recipe input please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sanch

Reaction score
I am going for a lighter amber with some distinct flavors but still easily drunk by the masses. i am still a pretty green Brewer so any input would be appreciated:mug:

10 gal batch
12 lbs light malt extract
2 lbs corn sugar
3 lbs crystal 40
1 lb biscuit malt
1 lb special b
1 lb toasted two row
1 tbl spoon irish moss
1 cup orange blossom honey at flame out
2 oz Centennial = boiling
2 oz Amarillo = flavor
2 oz E K G = dry

Now this is just me talking here, but I would 86 the Special B. I put 2oz in a Brown and it was too much. Why corn sugar and not the whole bill Extract? Have you run the recipe on Beersmith, etc to find OG and IBU?
I am running a series of OG batches with 10lb/30IBU with a gravity of about 1.050 and they are well balanced and very drinkable.

EDIT: I just ran it as a 5 gallon batch with a 3 gallon boil and got 1.072/34IBU.
If you drop the corn sugar and Special B you'll get 1.064/40ish which would be much more balanced.

Now this is just me talking here, but I would 86 the Special B. I put 2oz in a Brown and it was too much. Why corn sugar and not the whole bill Extract? Have you run the recipe on Beersmith, etc to find OG and IBU?
I am running a series of OG batches with 10lb/30IBU with a gravity of about 1.050 and they are well balanced and very drinkable.

EDIT: I just ran it as a 5 gallon batch with a 3 gallon boil and got 1.072/34IBU.
If you drop the corn sugar and Special B you'll get 1.064/40ish which would be much more balanced.

i added the corn sugar to lighten the body and flavor slightly i have not tried this technique before. i also have not used special B i wanted to try it, i was thinking it would add a nice color maybe it would be better suited elsewhere
I don't know how much it will change but i do full boils usualy. thanks for the advice i will 86 the special b

Special B addes a caramelly richness that, at least for me, easily overwhelms. You could use the corn sugar, just lower the extract (I assume its dry?) by an equal amout.

thanks for the input i brewed it up yesterday less the special b and only about a half a pound of sugar. i did add a cup of honey post chill it came in at 1.053 right about where i was aiming
fermenters are already bubbling away:mug:

Back