amount of chocolate extract per batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnderThePorchBrewing

Reaction score
am brewing a PM sweet stout that has a pound of chocolate malt as a good part of the specialty grain. was thinking of splitting the batch and making half as normal and half with added chocolate extract. I have a 2 oz bottle of Nielson-Massey Chocolate extract and was wondering if I should use the 2 oz in the 2.5 gallons or should I use less? I like the stout as is and would like to make a "double Chocolate" stout which has a good chocolaty taste but not overpowering. Also with adding the chocolate should a little lactose be added to sweeten the chocolate some? I have read some of the chocolate threads and this has actually raised this question as originally I was going to use all 2 oz but am wondering if this would be too much chocolate in 2.5 gallons. any info and insight/suggestions would be appreciated.
TIA
Ben

after reading here I thought 1 oz. Thanks. also acouple of other questions. when to add it? to primary fermentation, secondary it or add to the bottling bucket?

Back