pear cider questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoDudeBrew

Reaction score
Been brewing beer for over a year now. I have access to over 100 gallons of pear juice this summer and want to make cider. It will be unpasteurized fresh pressed juice. Should I heat it first but not boil and any recommendations on yeast would be helpful. Also i will be doing this in an old winery and have access to oak barrels and the such should i use those or glass carboys?? Sorry lots of questions but would like to make a good product as half of what is made goes back to the juice supplier .:)

Thanks, in advance for your thoughts!

I used some pear juice in my cider this year, it is pretty neutral stuff with low acidity. The pH was 4.5 which is pretty high, camden tablets will have no effect at that pH. I would recommend sweetening and/or carbonation and whatever additives you can use, such as other fruit juices, or malic acid, to give it a bit more flavor. The OG was pretty high.

Back