First root beer (extract and force carbonating)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duckredbeard

Reaction score
I have been encouraged to make a root beer for a Christmas gathering. I would prefer to keep the guess work out of it, so I am going the easy way. Don't want any bombs or overcarbonation. I'll be using an extract (makes 4 gallons) and force carbonation.

I am a beer brewer who has a few cornies that need action. I would prefer to make the root beer in a corny, force carb it, then counterpressure fill a few bottles for sharing. I have a keg that can be a dedicated soda keg.

I purchased the extract (http://www.leeners.com/soda/store/root-beer-extract-recipe.shtml) and 4 pounds of fine corn sugar from a home brew shop. Now the question is how much sugar per gallon. I can get more, or use another sweetener if suggested. Also, how many volumes of CO2 should I shoot for using force carbonation? I keep my keg fridge at 40, and I am low on beer, so I don't mind keeping the soda on high pressure for a few days, but how high of pressure to force carbonate?

Soda is carbed and served at a very high pressure- about 30 psi at 40 degrees. It'll take at least two weeks to fully carb at that pressure and temperature.

I'm not sure how well it works to fill bottles with a counterpressure bottle filler. I've never done it. I use 25-30' of 3/16" beer line to dispense soda, if that helps.

I have been encouraged to make a root beer for a Christmas gathering. I would prefer to keep the guess work out of it, so I am going the easy way. Don't want any bombs or overcarbonation. I'll be using an extract (makes 4 gallons) and force carbonation.

I am a beer brewer who has a few cornies that need action. I would prefer to make the root beer in a corny, force carb it, then counterpressure fill a few bottles for sharing. I have a keg that can be a dedicated soda keg.

I purchased the extract (http://www.leeners.com/soda/store/root-beer-extract-recipe.shtml) and 4 pounds of fine corn sugar from a home brew shop. Now the question is how much sugar per gallon. I can get more, or use another sweetener if suggested. Also, how many volumes of CO2 should I shoot for using force carbonation? I keep my keg fridge at 40, and I am low on beer, so I don't mind keeping the soda on high pressure for a few days, but how high of pressure to force carbonate?

I'm drinking this now. It tastes great. Everyone loves it. Maybe a little on the sweet side, but you could add more water if you want (I'm not changing it, my kids love it). Go ahead and substitute the corn sugar for table sugar.

• 1 Bottle Rainbow Flavors Rootbeer Extract
  • 4 gals of water
  • 2 lb Dark Brown Sugar
  • 6 Cups White Table Sugar
  • 2 Teaspoon Vanilla

Heat 1 gallon of the water and add the sugars. Stir until dissolved. Dump this and everything else into the keg and carbonate.

I'll do it tonight, maybe going as high as 50 psi for the first 4-5 days. Using Passedpawns recipe and recommendations. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back