dual stage ferm chamber heat idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

borealis

Reaction score
I am trying to figure out the best way to heat a fermemntation chamber made from a 7 cu ft freezer. The cooling is obviously taken care of by the freezer, but I want a consistent heat throughout the chamber. Do you think you could line the walls of the freezer with flexwatt heat tape and use a dual stage controller?

http://www.reptilebasics.com/flexwatt-heat-tape

I thought by having some of the heat tape all the way around the interior of the freezer, my carboys would receive an equal heat.
Thoughts?

I use the same stuff (Flexwatt) in my fermentation chamber as well as all my snake racks and cages. Its is great stuff and as long as you use it correctly it is very very safe. It does not use much wattage either what is nice. One good thing to have is a small fan in the chamber to move the air around some while it is on.

Rich at RBI is a great guy and should answer any questions you would have.

Chromados

I use a fermwrap that's made to wrap around a carboy. I tywrapped it along the back of the fermentation fridge and it keeps the ambient temperature in the whole chamber just fine with a fan and a controller.

Space heater???

keyframe42%2813%29.jpg

when was that taken? Like space heaters havent changed in the last 30 years????? they are much safer than they used to be.

not really, they do have the overheat thermal shutdown but still, if it gets knocked over its still plenty hot enough to start a fire, id never put one anywhere in my house........

lots are ceramic not the old tube or coil systems. lots when shut down, tip over dont retain a lot off heat. i'm not saying they don't have their problems, im just saying its not 1980s technology anymore. its all how you use them.

It's like wiring 240v 1500w elements directly into liquid systems! does that mean anyone who does it is going to get electricuted - not hardly. Many of us do it but we are aware of the dangers and reduce eliminate all the hazards.

not really, they do have the overheat thermal shutdown but still, if it gets knocked over its still plenty hot enough to start a fire, id never put one anywhere in my house........

The modern ceramic element heaters are very safe to operate. The ceramic element never gets hot enough to ignite anything even if it comes in direct contact with the element. No worries about knocking one over. You can run it face down on a carpet and it won't do anything but warm up the carpet real good, but nowhere near combustion temperatures. I do remember the old time electric heaters with the red hot glowing elements and I agree that they can be hazardous, but so can nearly any appliance if used carelessly. I use a small ceramic heater in my fermentation chamber and it works just fine.

Hey, we have some of those old heaters. Used right they work great.

I guess I am just extra cautious when it comes to space heaters. Picture was more of a knee-jerk reaction. If you made sure you had something to keep temps in check I don't see why you couldn't use them. Just be careful.

Personally, I like the quartz tube ones best.

Back