Do hydrometer's go to heaven?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suthrncomfrt1884

Reaction score
I had a huge brew schedule this weekend. Bought enough stuff to make 3- 10 gallon batches (American Amber, Pumpkin Ale, and a Hallertau/Belgian Pils SMASH)

I'm giving these beers away as christmas gifts, and I'm running a little late to get them started, so I figured I'd do a bunch this weekend and a bunch next. Saturday, I had a few friends over to watch college football and help me brew. Got the first beer done, and I was about to drain it from the keggle to the fermentor, when my hydrometer (sanitized and sitting on the counter) suddenly took a spill because a friend bumped it on accident.

I watched in slow motion as it fell to it's death. I'd like to think if it had a brain, all of the previous brews it had tested were flashing in front of it's eyes.

So...I now have a complete beer, starters made for one more that night and another on Sunday...but no hydrometer to test them with.

I decided to go ahead with the beers and just face the fact that I may not be able to reproduce them if my efficiency was off. Although, I've hit 75-80% consistantly over the last few years.

Long post....I know. Just wanted to vent, as I'm sure others have done the same thing as me. Oh, and it just happened to be 4:45 when it broke, and the LHBS closes at 5pm. It's 20 minutes away. I called and hoped they'd offer to stay open for another 10 minutes, but no luck.

Yeah, one of my cats saw it sitting on the drying rack last week, and found it was too tempting to pass up. Good thing they're only like $5 at my local HBS.

A bit late for sugesstions now I know, but for in 2-3 years think about collecting enough wort in jars/glasses/cups/anything that will hold liquid, stick in the fridge and test in a few days when you get a new hydrometer. :)

Well, it depends.

Are you Catholic? Then your hydrometer will go to purgartory, where it will sit and wait until you brew a sufficient number of outstanding beers to release it to heaven. If you are unable to meet this requirement, then for a small contribution, you can bypass this step and see your hydrometer in heaven.

Are you Hindu? Then your hydrometer will be reincarnated, probably as a LHBS owner offering extraordinarily good advice to newbs, helping usher them into the community of homebrewers. Unless, of course, your hydrometer was involved in some exceptionally bad brewing, in which case it will be reincarnated as a barley which will be malted and eventually used to brew Keystone Light.

Well, it depends.

Are you Catholic? Then your hydrometer will go to purgartory, where it will sit and wait until you brew a sufficient number of outstanding beers to release it to heaven. If you are unable to meet this requirement, then for a small contribution, you can bypass this step and see your hydrometer in heaven.

Are you Hindu? Then your hydrometer will be reincarnated, probably as a LHBS owner offering extraordinarily good advice to newbs, helping usher them into the community of homebrewers. Unless, of course, your hydrometer was involved in some exceptionally bad brewing, in which case it will be reincarnated as a barley which will be malted and eventually used to brew Keystone Light.

A big thumbs up for this answer! That made my day. :mug:

Latest posts

Back