Yeast from previous batch as a starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Varroa

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I am about to make my first raw juice cider. I am also trying a small experiment with some store bought juice in a 1 gallon demijong which should be ready to rack to my secondary at about the same time I get my 5 gallons of raw juice. Can I use the leftover yeast from the 1 gallon demijong as a starter and just pitch it into the raw 5 gallons of juice?

I wouldn't. At least not with dry wine yeast. If you wonder why, taste some of the lees and see how awful it tastes. Secondly, I rack my ciders and wines whenever there are lees 1/4" thick. Dead/dying yeast can cause autolysis and it's foul tasting stuff.

For ales, it's more common. But those yeast cakes are usually only a couple of weeks old, and even then it's recommend to wash the yeast and not simply pitch on the cake.

I think ale yeast works a lot better for this. Yooper is right that it is better to wash.

OTOH - when I was just getting started making cider, I once got 8 good batches (and 2 danky ones) out of one packet of ale yeast I got from a friend, with no washing, just repitching. I split it in thirds and kept repitching until they started getting wierd.

Latest posts

Back