Halloween Pumpkin Porter!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grant-robison

Reaction score
So me and my brewing buddies were wanting to brew a festive beer for fall. And we all love porters... so what better than a pumpkin porter? I've seen a few recipes on the site but I like crafting my own so I drafted a partial mash up on beersmith:

6# pale LME
2# Munich
12oz Car40L
8oz Car120L
8oz Chocolate malt
8oz Oats (cooked)
3.75# (two big cans) spiced pumpkin pie mix @ 15m
.5oz Nugget (60m)
.5oz Fuggles (15m)
Safale S-04

Est OG: 1.065
Actual: 1.066
26 SRM

We added the Fuggles and the pumpkin to a grain bag at fifteen which made cleanup extremely easy and filtered most of the pumpkin gunk out, and let the wort cool till the next evening before racking off the cold break in the kettle. We wanted something real malty, dark red, sweet, aromatic and at least a little higher alcohol than a typical session porter... hey its a party after all.

Tell me what you think! anybody else tried their hand at a pumpkin porter?

I like the attempt! Definitely would like to hear how it turns out. Also, I gotta look into the spiced pumpkin pie mix - if I understand your recipe correctly, it's pumpkin mash that is pre-spiced?

Recipe looks good. One thing I recommend is not rushing it through primary and secondary. I rushed mine and ended up with heavy bottle trub.

Man I was scouring the net looking for a good pumpkin porter recipe but just couldn't find one that really jumped out for me. In the end I went with a simple pumpkin ale but I think I may just have to give your recipe a go too-if you don't mind.

I do not mind, and i'm honored by the interest. Definitely not going to rush this beer at all, the yeasties have just started to settle and the look of the bottom of the carboy doesnt seem too layered/gunky. looks like mostly yeast. the color of it is looking more like a dark brown ale. some black patent in the recipe could help. I promise if it's a hit at the halloween party i'll put it in the recipe bank here on HBT.

Latest posts

Back