Wooden Beer Crate Construction

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mastershoe

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with constructing their own crates. I plan to bottle in the Grolsch 'flip top' bottles and I want to construct wooden crates to hold 20 bottles. Any comments or links would be appreciated. Thanks. :D

Haven't made one myself, atleast not yet, but there is a simple plan for making one in the book "Brew Ware" by Karl Lutzen & Mark Stevens. It is basically made of 3/8 in plywood held together at the corners with 90degree steel braces and has dividers made of 1/8in sheet paneling.

Did you buy those bottles in bulk or just collected them? If you bought them where did you get them from.

Michael_Currie said:
Did you buy those bottles in bulk or just collected them? If you bought them where did you get them from.

Combination - I drink some Grolsch and ask any friends that do to keep their bottles for me. The brew place I go to sells them new although they are brown. They sell them for $1.99 but I can buy Grolsch beer for $2.75 so its a better deal for me to drink beer! I always knew that. Also the brew place I get my supplies from sometimes have used ones. I got 17 the other day for $.15. I only started collecting bottles a few months ago and I already have enough for a batch (around 50). Here in Ontario people return their bottles to The Beer Store and I've asked to buy any off of them but so far they haven't had any and they are reluctant to do this anyway. Apparently head office has told them not to. It was also suggested to me I could approach the pubs that serve Grolsch and ask to buy their empties however their are not any bars that serve Grolsch in my area. Hope this helps.

I had nothing but bad experience with the flip-top bottles. When I first started brewing, I collected a couple cases of grolsch and fischer's bottles and fitted them all with new washers. Still, many bottles ended up flat due to escaping gas. You are much better off working with crown caps.

Sorry about your bad experience with the Grolsch bottles, Arachnyd. I noticed you mentioned that you had changed the rubber seals before you used them. I wonder if that may have been part of the problem? I have been using mine for a long time with little problem. Perhaps if my beer sat around for a longer time I would also find that I have the same problem with gas escaping. I cycle through a batch every four to eight weeks.
I left the original rubber seal that came with the bottle, on. It may be a factor. It may be that the seal has an exact tolerance, a balance between elasticity and thickness that is Grolsch bottle specific, Grolsch seals will only work on Grolsch bottles?? What kind of seal did you use? I have about eighty bottles, some from the early ninetys and even earlier. I've noticed that some of the seals are developing small cracks and I suppose I should be replacing them. Still, they seem to be working.
I wash my bottles by hand with hot soapy water and use a bottle brush to scrub out any bits that may have found a home in the bottle. I avoid harsh detergents and bleaches, if possible. This helps, I think, with keeping the integrity of the rubber seal intact.
Another thing is storage. I have a cold room that rarley ever gets above 65 F(17 C) and usually is much cooler. Gas expands when heated, shinks when cooled. Still, I would expect that these seals should handle extended periods at room temperature?
The only other thing I can think of could be an very active secoundary fermentation?

Back