Which Bayou to buy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DizzyPants

Reaction score
I have about ten extract batches under my belt (waiting for lager yeast to take hold on one of them right now) and am wondering about a good propane burner.

I brewed two batches yesterday on my gas stove and realized the longest period I wait is to get from steeping temp to a nice rolling boil.

I am looking to cut down the 3 hours, start to finish, brew time per batch.

How much time could I save with a high output propane burner? I could easily just go out on the patio plug in my propane tank from the BBQ and brew/boil.

Thoughts?

~Diz

I assume you are brewing 5 gallon batches. If you're intending on continuing with the same volume I would recommend getting one of the standard (relatively cheap) cast "swirl" burners. They're commonly available for turkey fryers.

My recommendation is to shop around for a burner that comes with a regulator assembly with the gate valve mounted downstream from the regulator (it'll be a T-handle, as opposed to a knob). The "safety" regulators are nothing but headaches IMO.

EDIT:
This
41J1Ld0gDrL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

KAB6 rocks. It take about 15 to go from tap to boiling. THe stand is heavy duty. I'v never even maxed it out.

Back